Another Pedestal Basket

In the book "Tradition and Innovation" there were two pedestal baskets shown, both by Lucy Telles. This is my attempt to copy the second (the first was posted last month). I deviated from the actual size which is 9-1/2 x 5-5/8. Mine is around 11 x 6. I scanned the page I had to work from. I didn't copy everything exactly, as you can see, but pretty close. C & C always welcomed.

002.JPG003.JPG005.JPG007.JPGscan lucy telles pedestal basket.jpg

Larry,
I use Copic markers sold by oozak.com. They have a couple different kinds, and the ones that work best are the Copic "original". This type comes with what they call a standard fine nib, and you can also get super fine nibs to replace the standard. I keep two markers, one with the standard fine and the other a super fine nib in each of the three colors I have (dark bark, burnt sienna and cadmium red). Using these nibs it's not too hard to keep the dye where you want it. The bead and the burn lines help to contain the dye and prevent bleeding. There are places around here that sell Copic markers, but I've only seen one type, and that is the "Sketch" version which has a much broader tip and not good for this kind of work. Of course, there are those "screw-ups" on my part where a "slip" gets dye where I don't want it. That's when I scrape, or shave the wood till the "oops" is gone. If you haven't seen it, you should check out Jim Adkins excellent tutorial on sawmillcreek. Jim does a great job explaining the tools and process for making these basket illusion pieces.

'

I appreciate all the nice comments. This style of basket was new to me, something we don't see too often. Guess that's why I had to give them a try. Thanks again for the comments.

...you should check out Jim Adkins excellent tutorial on sawmillcreek. Jim does a great job explaining the tools and process for making these basket illusion pieces.

It would be great if we could get Jim to post the tutorial over here, for those of us who are no longer allowed to see pictures at Sawmill Creek. :thumb: