Pin Nailer Recommendation

Al Launier

I'm thinking of getting a pin nailer & have been recommended a Bostich 18ga. Just wondering what you guys use/or recommend. Is the 18ga the most commonly used or is the 23(?) ga a better overall size.

Also, it would seem that the pin nailer would be preferred over a brad nailer to mechanically secure pieces together while hiding the head. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

I have a Makita 18ga brad nailer and an HF 23ga pin nailer. Both have their applications, so it depends on what you plan to do with it. A pin nailer is primarily useful for applying trim and molding.

If money were no object, or if I was a working professional, I'd get a Grex.
Neither of those are true for me :rolleyes: so I bought a Ridgid 23 guage pinner. Works fine in most things. Full length in hard wood is sometimes a challenge, but that is not often.

But I also agree with Bill. The 18 gauge brad nailer is a whole different beast for different purposes. I have one of those also (porter cable) and it works fine for it's uses.

I've got a porter cable. Happy with it so far, but it's only been a few years.

Like everyone else said, you need both. One won't do what the other does, and vice versa... ;)

I have a Delta 18 gauge pin/staple gun, and a HF 23 gauge pin nailer. I've used the Delta primarily for staples (making shipping crates and such) and the HF for most of everything else (which isn't a lot, since I've not done much flatwork for several years. I can put up with the occasional misfire from the HF gun, considering the price I paid for it.

If I was shooting a lot of pins/nails, I'd go with Senco or Grex. (Love my Grex sander.)

I have a Chinese brad nailer that I was given many years ago at a tool show and a HF pinner that cost about $20.00. Both have seen many boxes of nails never had a skip, miss, or problem with either of them.

Years ago Senco used to be the framing and finish nailer of choice but in my experience with air tools Senco has been outclassed my many other brands. Big change in Senco management and philosophy has knocked them off the top big time.

Bob Senco has not been out classed in the tool, in business they have egg on there faces.:thumb: Some time ago they put demands on the distributors that drove them off the shelves to the point I can only get them in a few lumber yards locally. All the rest told them to pound sand and sell Bositch They all can order me one but don't stock anything Senco. Not sure what they did but it was a bad move on there part.:doh: About 10 years ago you could walk into any yard and get nails guns what have you everyone stocked Senco and Bositch. Now the shelves are full of Bostich and Gripright.:doh:

I bought a pin nailer at a local salvage store down the road from me, (think HF but one step lower). I used it and one day at Menard's they had a sale going on for Bostich pin nailers, knew my cheapy (think it cost me $9.00) wasn't going to last so bought one. That blue cheapie is what I have used throughout building my house and shop, my nephew used it throughout his house remodel and Eric used it putting up trim in their house as well as putting up tongue and groove boards for a wall in their basement room that houses all the items, pumps, washer/dryer, etc. Just used it Friday all day installing mom and dad's knotty pine ceiling in their new house. It is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going thru falls, long periods of down time, etc. Funny, I always send Eric the Bostich in its case and have oiled and run it from time to time, but everyone uses that old blue one!

i have a senco brad nailer and it been a work horse, as for a pin nailer i got a good deal on a cadex which is high end stuff, but a senco or hitachi would be good substitiute, havnt seen a grex but hear they are good stuff as well.. but back to the usefulness i would say a brad nailer is like a light trim nailer and the pin nailer is for small detail work. pin nailers in my opinion arnt for holding things with just the pin like a brad nailer can

an 18 gauge really isnt a pin nailer, its a brad nailer. the pins are 21 and 23 gauge. I have an older accuset which was sencos "price point" gun and it was always serviceable. However, it lacked any safety features so you had to be real careful when using it. Senco's version has a set trigger to prevent accidental discharge. (the "always wear safety glasses" rule truly applies with these guns, I cant stress that enough)
I also have this model and I really like it. (again no safety for the trigger other than a trigger lock that swings out of the way) it shoots a 21 gauge fastener both head and headless. I have also had this one for several years and actualy prefer it over the 23 gauge pinner.

http://www.nailgundepot.com/EZFasten-MPB40-21-Gauge-PinBrad-Nailer-12-to-1916-Details.html

Where either of these guns shine is in fastening very small parts, ie. mitered returns, small moldings etc etc.
brad guns in the 18 gauge category are good for doing trim work fastening the narrower side of casings to door and window jambs and such. also in places where a traditional 15 gauge nail would split the piece.

In my opinion you need all 3. Finish nailer, brad nailer, pin nailer. I use my brad nailer most. Also, I don't recommend buying a brad nailer/stapler combination tool. They don't do either application well from my experience with them.
Finish nailer is either 15 or 16 ga. depending on if its a straight or angle collated nail. Brads are almost always 18 ga and pins are mostly 23 ga.
The HF pin nailer does not have a safety on it so you need to be sure to keep you finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot it. I don't find it a problem though.
I have several pneumatic staplers but haven't bought a narrow crown version yet. I'll probably pick on up at HF this week.

You are right Chuck. Back in the 80's and 90's every tool shop scrambled to get Senco. I sold them when I owned my contractor supply store. They were the best money could buy and were easy to work on. Senco was about the only company that sold different repair kits in blister packs so contractors could fix their own tools. Today if I was going to start selling air tools again I would carry Max, Hitachi, and Bostitch.

I appreciate all the advice & recommendations. However, where I differ from all you professional wood workers is that I'm just a casual wood worker doing repair jobs as needed and an occasional wood project to keep me occupied, especially during the winter. And, as you have suggested, getting a combo Brad/Pin nailer is not the best option, so I've ruled that out and I'm now thinking of getting both an 18 Gauge Brad Nailer (http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-brad-nailer-68021.html) which is on sale, and a 15-16 Finish Nailer. (http://www.harborfreight.com/34-angle-finish-nailer-68020.html). Both of these are on sale & have pretty good feedback. I'm also now thinking that perhaps a Pin Nailer may not be appropriate for my work as it seems to relate to small work, picture frames, etc.

However, I'm not sure which is better, a "straight" cartridge nailer or an "angle" nailer. Are there specific application that one or the other are better suited?

...I'm also now thinking that perhaps a Pin Nailer may not be appropriate for my work as it seems to relate to small work, picture frames, etc...

I've used my 23 gauge pin nailer for things like attaching trim to trinket boxes and such. It's definitely for fine, small work. Carefully aimed, a 23 gauge pin can attach a toothpick to a board. I've done it just to see if it could be done. :D

straight nails for the brad nailer and pin nailer are the most common Al..

I was wondering if the angle nailer might offer better access & positioning in tight quarters (corners) and provide a better view of where to place the nail??? Yet, I think the 16ga would yield a smaller hole than a 15ga nail - easier to fill if needed??? Sounds like a 15ga might be more than what I may need for all around use???

Is a non-oiling compressor acceptable for these nailers, or should an oiler attachment be used for lubricating the nailer?

Last edited:
I was wondering if the angle nailer might offer better access & positioning in tight quarters (corners) and provide a better view of where to place the nail??? Yet, I think the 16ga would yield a smaller hole than a 15ga nail - easier to fill if needed??? Sounds like a 15ga might be more than what I may need for all around use???

Again, it depends on exactly what you intend to do with a nailer. If it's carpentry, then the angled finish nailer would be appropriate. If it's woodworking, the 18ga brad nailer would be more appropriate. Although an 18ga brad has a head on it, the shape allows it to be aligned with the grain of the wood for better concealment. A finish nailer will leave a bigger hole.

as for a oiler i would say no just get some oil and give your tool a coupe drops each use.. the full time oilers in my opinion arent needed

Oil? What is this oil you talk of? Oh yha that stuff your posed to put in the gun everyday before ya plug it in. Lets see I think the last time I put some in my Senco was 1997:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: