Another "Crib Bench".

John Pollman

Picked up a nice used crib yesterday, so I decided to convert it into another bench.

At this point, I've got the basic fabrication done and the seat blank is glued up. It will be dry in the morning. Then I can cut it to size and finish assembly. Then it's ready for finish. Not too bad considering that 24 hours ago, it was a crib. :)

Crib bench start.jpgCrib bench1.jpg

I thought I posted a final pic but I guess I didn't. I finished it up about a month ago. I've had it listed on CL for a while with no inquiries yet. I'm going to have to find another way to market my stuff besides CL. That just isn't cutting it. I've got some nice pieces that I feel are not "cheap" but I feel reasonably priced. Every time someone replies to a CL ad, they want to beat me down on price. I may come down a little bit, but I'm not going to give the stuff away.

Here's the finished crib bench in color. I've got it listed at $350. IMO that's a fair price for a piece like this. What do you think?

Crib bench4.jpg

Looks cool, John. :thumb: I think you've got it priced fairly, but keep in mind the people shopping Craigslist are looking for bargains. Cheap bargains. Not $350 benches. I think you might have better luck listing it on a site like Etsy, where many of the shoppers are looking for unique handcrafted stuff, and are often willing to pay for it.

Good point Vaughn!

I finally got off my butt and created an Etsy store. Craigslist is just plain NOT the place to sell my creations. People shopping there are looking for bargain basement, garage sale prices. I think Etsy might be the way to go. If anyone would like to check it out, it's JohnsCustomWoodworking over on Etsy.

I love your idea and design. The blue color is pretty, but it is pretty intense - there are a lot of rooms where it wouldn't fit in. If it doesn't sell, I suggest you switch to a color that would fit with more environments - perhaps even black (think classic Windsor chairs, for example) or maroon or brown, if somebody wants it in their living room, or even white. The intense blue shouts baby boy's room, but even in that case, I would look for a rocking chair rather than a bench.

Missed this earlier John..

That's really a nice use for an old Crib. We had 2 hang around for years that we finally gt rid of. Never saw or thought of a use like this. I really like it as well as the color but then I don't try to sell.

One thought is if you have a way to advertise or do shows is to use their crib and some might love the idea and the sentimental idea of keeping the old family crib around in a new use. I know it would have appealed to my wife...

But this sure does look nice and I am sure wold sell well at the right place..

Garry