Another small chest

Thanks guys. If I were to ever add power tools to my shop, it would be for stock prep. I don't get a lot of kick from sawing to size and planing rough lumber. However, I will never give up the joy of cutting dovetails, and M&T joints by hand.

Thanks guys. If I were to ever add power tools to my shop, it would be for stock prep. I don't get a lot of kick from sawing to size and planing rough lumber. However, I will never give up the joy of cutting dovetails, and M&T joints by hand.

And never give up working with that beautiful walnut.

I envy you your hand working skills. Yes, I have several planes. Yes, I use the planes and would not want to be without them. However, if a thickness planer will do the job, that is what I will use.

When I was a kid there were huge walnut groves about 6 miles west of us. The groves were miles by miles in size. Now the groves are houses and strip malls. And what makes me mad today is the fact that I didn't do woodworking back then when I could probably had all the walnut I wanted for free. Guess I was born 60 years too late.

Enjoy,
JimB

Nice one, Denis! Very nice! What is the secondary lumber?

What's the size of this one, I looks smaller to me than it probably really is.

I really like it.

I don't usually measure when I build; so I don't have measurements. It's approx. 8" x 5" x 7" more or less the Walnut thickness is near 1". The secondary wood is Maple.

I'm really enjoying working with woods other than White Oak. A sharp chisel on Maple is like cutting a bar of soap. Oak splits often sees the chisel as a wedge and splits ahead of the tool. Low angle planes act the same way.