Word of warning - Dust Collection Requirements for Businesses

Glenn - This is a bit late in coming, but yes, I have to hire a licensed DC contractor and pull a permit. I had a meeting with the inspector and he showed me a portion of the local code that states that I personally cannot install, or cause to be installed (i.e. ask an employee or friend to do it), any portion of the ductwork.
That's a double edged sword I have seen lots of things in the past that really should have been done by a pro. And I have seen a lot of things done by a pro that look like a school kid did. Plus a lot of things done by a home owner that any pro would be proud to sat they did it.
Kind of along the lines of wiring I have no problem doing it but by law I must have a licensed electrician pull the permit.:doh:

Glenn - This is a bit late in coming, but yes, I have to hire a licensed DC contractor and pull a permit. I had a meeting with the inspector and he showed me a portion of the local code that states that I personally cannot install, or cause to be installed (i.e. ask an employee or friend to do it), any portion of the ductwork.

Ouch. I am pulling for you Hutch. Your work is beautiful and to have you succeed in being able to offer it to a wider range of clients would be just great. You get to do what you love, your clients get beautiful items and we get to have bragging rights as to "we knew him when" :thumb:.

Ouch. I am pulling for you Hutch. Your work is beautiful and to have you succeed in being able to offer it to a wider range of clients would be just great. You get to do what you love, your clients get beautiful items and we get to have bragging rights as to "we knew him when" :thumb:.

This sums up my feelings nicely. ;)

Thanks guys! I am really looking forward to having this issue in the past, cuz I haven't done any "fun" turning in a while. It would be nice to have some time to actually seek out those new clients and show them something that wow them. :D Of course, I have some furniture designs that need to be made as well. So little time......

- Hutch

It's been a long time since I have had any time to visit "The Family", but here's an update. During this whole DC issue I was regularly looking for a new space, cuz it was just plain stupid to spend that much money on a tiny 1600sq foot space. I had trouble finding anything I could afford, and my permit was set to expire on Dec. 25. But sometime around December 7 I finally found a place that would work for me a few miles away, but outside the offending municipality. So in the 11th hour I ended up moving. To make sure I wasn't going to run into the same situation I "preemptively" called the new municipality's fire inspector and mechanical inspector. They were easy to talk to, willing to explain requirements, and generally much more willing to have a conversation. Not to mention their requirements were much more sane.

SOOOOO......now I have 3350 sq ft. in a super nice building (built in 2000) in an area that is "really nice" and "customer friendly" according to everyone I show it to. I am excited for the future, and I hope to be able to share some more of what I have been doing all fall very soon. Thanks again for all y'all's support!

- Hutch

SOOOOO......now I have 3350 sq ft. .....

You need more space...

My shop is in about 2500 sq/ft. 3 guys working in there is mega cramped. I'm looking to either move or build soon. Dead minimum I will put up if I build will be 5k sq/ft, if not closer to 7500.

I wouldn't go the self employed route again knowing what I know now. It's basically the inverse of what everyone thinks. Long hours, low pay, zero flexibility, and you are not your own boss.

Glad you were able to take your business to a more friendly location. It may be because I have lived here forever and other states may be as bad but, I cannot believe how California drives businesses from its soil. It make no sense to me.

The out of touch beureucrats and do-good era are making it harder and harder for good folks to make money for themselves. Kudos to you for having the courage to be self supporting!