Photo From the Neighborhood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea who took this photo, but I grew up a block away from Moon Street...

Moon%20Sign.jpg

Talk about being in the right place at the right time and also having the forethought to have a camera at hand. :thumb:

When you are a real camera nut, that kind of pic is not a coincidence. I remember making a trip 4 times to a neighboring city to take pictures of the railroad tracks as they curved under an over pass and trailed off into the sunset. I knew the time of day that the sun would reflect off of the rails in the way I wanted. However, due to local clouds at that time of day; no pic. However, due to no train on those tracks for quite a while, rust on the rails ruined the reflection I wanted; no pic. However due to moisture on the tracks; no pic. Then finally, before the season changed enough to put the sun in the wrong place at 4:20 pm I got my pic.

It won top award in a photo contest.

Then there was the time I had a pic of tall eucalyptus trees near a path with someone on the path. It was too late in the day for the light I wanted. Went back to get the pic and the eucalyptus trees were all cut down. Etc!

Enjoy,
JimB

When you are a real camera nut you know your camera so well you can change the f-stops, shutter speed, etc. in a flash without even looking at the camera. I don't know about today, but back when I was a nut all photojournalists, press photogs, and similar had that ability. The new cameras have a lot of "brains." You might not get the perfect pic; but you will get a quick very usable pic.