Start Of A Little Reno....

As summer is long over and the work on the outside maintenance on our acerage is done, we have gone full bore back into our little reno.

The bathrooms are done except for the mirrors and I am real happy the way these walnut cabinets turned out....

IMG_1512.jpg

With those rooms out of the way I decided to paint the rest of our home and replace a bunch of the trim work, even in the bedrooms.
Some of the trim had to be made in stages. Have I said how much I hate working with MDF? And please excuse the mess in my shop.
But the results have been given a thumbs up by the boss.

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

I was now going to start on all the carcasses and walnut doors for the kitchen but have changed my mind once again and want to do cabinetry in the laundry room.
So off on another tangent....

IMG_1612.jpg

This weekend I got one of the four sections all done.

IMG_1613.jpg

Or so I thought.
The boss now wants some type of storage cabinet made under this section.
So that will be next on the agenda...

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time!

Great to hear from you Gary. Looks like LOYL is helping you avoid the pitfalls of an idle mind and body :). Love the updates. Keep them coming.

We moved forward on the laundry room this week.
The doors were installed on one of the sections. Four coats with a paint that takes forever to dry. At least 16 hours between coats.
But it sure looks good when done....

IMG_1622.jpg

The third section has the carcasses on the wall with most of the trim done.
Doors have been painted and just drying in my finishing room. They will go on tomorrow night.

IMG_1631.jpg

The old laundry sink needs a bit of a facelift.....

IMG_1620.jpg

So a couple of base cabinets have gone in. These doors will go to the finishing room tomorrow night and will finished in 5 days.
The sink is a 9" deep Kindred and the tap will be an American Standard. Tap and the sink will get final install in the next couple of days.
It's not all done but I'm thinking it will get the thumbs up from the boss....

IMG_1630.jpg

This room is getting real close to being ready for the tile guys....
We will see what the next week brings.

Last edited:
So tonight I got the doors on and primed the ones for the laundry sink cabinet.

IMG_1632.jpg

Next will will work on the low storage cabinets under these two sections.
The boss also decided that she no longer wants the door put back on to the laundry room.
When I think of it I can't remember it being closed in 12 years...
I'm hoping I can patch when the hinges were.... tearing the jam out was not on my to do list..:(

Thanks Vaughn and Paul.
Paul as a side note I really wanted my wife to like the laundry room upgrade. Tonight I told her with the kitchen being so big a project it sure would be easier if I had a few more tools to make me a bit more efficient.
Soooo I get a bunch of new Festool stuff!
-Two of the MFT tables a 3 and a basic.
-The track saw rail with all the holes for making cabinets.
-Parallel guides
-a 118" track saw guide.
-and a LR32 hole drilling system.
Most of it I will sell after I do the kitchen so the hit will not be that big.
Or so I hope......

Last edited:
Not as much progress this week because of a little bout with the flu.
But we did get the laundry sink cabinet completed and operating.

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

We will start on the shoe cubbie cabinet today.

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time...

Sweet job on the sink Gary. Fido is sure to be pleased. Sounds like a good plan on the extra tools as well. The Festool stuff will hold its value and take some of the sting out of the cost.

This week I got one of the two built in cabinets done. The shoe cubby.
A little plywood and a few pieces of trim, slop on some paint and it's done.

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Hope everyone got some shop time this week...

Last edited:
Well we finally got this laundry room done except for stone floor and baseboards...
The walls were way out of square so getting the tops to fit was a bit of a challenge as I didn't want any trim to hide gaps.....

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

With this out of the way we FINALLY get on with the kitchen.
I was going to start with taking out a wall but found out we are having Xmas dinner here.
We will leave well enough alone and start building a few of the uppers in the mean time.:thumb:

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time.

The past few days I finally get to do some real shop time and start our new kitchen.
This is the style of kitchen I am trying to replicate. It is a display at a local appliance store. We are even using the same granite.

IMG_1213.jpg

After calibrating my new Festool gear we get to take this stuff on a test flight....
I have never used the 32mm European system to build a cabinet but after my first session I am sold on this.

These will be the machines I will use to do pretty much everything to build the carcasses.

IMG_1672.jpg

Ripping down sheet goods has never been high on my list of good things to do but this track saw and parallel guides make things a snap.
I've always had trouble getting a nice clean straight line with my table saw.

IMG_1666.jpg

With the sheets ripped into the right widths the MFT table shines getting the panels to the right length.
In no time I have the parts for most of my uppers.

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Next is to punch the holes in the panels for the shelf pins and hinges.

IMG_1674.jpg

With all the hinge and pin holes in place I used my domino to hold the carcass together.
Then before I slam the carcass parts together I use my hi tech edge banding machine....

IMG_1669.jpg

And lastly a trim router to clean up the edges.
With the micro adjustment I can dial this in perfectly.

IMG_1670.jpg

And bigo bango I have the first five carcasses done.:thumb:
19 more to go....

IMG_1675.jpg

After eating way too much food the last few days I got back into my shop to start on a few of the lower cabinets.
I have pre cut all of the sides and have built the corner cabinet. A few of the cabinet will have specialized gear in them.
This first one is a blind corner cabinet and it took way longer to make than I thought.
I pretty much built the cabinet around the metal....

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

Hope everyone had a Merry Xmas!