RAS, who uses one?

I got my dad's RAS a year or so ago, I use it for most cross cuts. I grew up using it, so feel comfortable using it. I hardly use my miter saw at all except when I need to make miters, even then I'll many times use my jessem miter on the TS.

My Dad bought a used Craftsman RAS in, I believe. 1958. I was 12 and we learned the saw together. It now sits in his shop after all these years. The red oak top is in good shape. We have used it to rip, crosscut, miter, compound miters, dados, rabbits, cut molding--about any way the saw can be used has been used. I need to see if there are repair parts for the yoke and arm bearing available--I'm guessing they will be. Some of his neighbors and a couple of my uncles have used it extensively. Dad's philosophy on power tools was pretty simple: You should never fear a machine, but you better respect all of them. I had RASs in my school shops for over 40 years with out one accident of any kind. Newer RASs just ain't what they used to be.

Ive got my grandfathers old dewalt powershop 9" ras in my shop. I dont use it frequently but it is my go to saw when cutting miters. I have a 45 degree jig that mounts to the table and I leave the saw set at 90 to the fence. the right blade is key to avoiding kickback on an RAS. It was one of the first real pieces of equipment I put in my shop as well as a delta contractor saw many years ago. Both have served me well, although the delta is "retired" now and sitting in my trailer.

I'm torn about moving it to my shop. I've used it extensively over the years as his house, just not sure if I"ll use it enough to warrant the space it takes up. I have a compound miter saw that that works well and takes up less space.
Dados are much easier on the RAS though vs the table saw.

John

I had one many years ago. Can't remember what happened to it :huh:

I've been looking on CL for the past few months trying to find a deal on another. I plan on using it mainly for dados.

I have 3, all Dewalts. My first stationary tool was an RAS. That one wasn't so good and went to the recall, but I missed it capabilities. I bought a Dewalt and the RAS sees use on every project. Of the 3 I have only one is setup for use in the shop; but if I had room I'd have 2 of them set up.

Wouldn't be without one. Looked long and hard and found a DeWalt to restore. 8' outfeed on each side. One of my go-to tools. Mostly just crosscuts, but I wouldn't be without a 'GOOD' one. Beware of most Craftsman RAS. Yes there are goods one but they are few and far between. Most are value engineered junk. I scrapped two and replace them with this one.

after4.jpg

In my modest shop I have an RAS. Promised myself to never use it to rip when I got it.

Very handy for my small projects.

I engrave plastic signs. It is very handy for cutting the 1/8 or less thick plastic into the correct sizes and with nice square cuts.

The first stationary power tool I purchased was a Sears RAS around 1982. I used it to build an entire set of kitchen cabinets at our first house...read that as a small kitchen.;) I actually killed it cutting Pavestone retaining wall blocks with a masonry blade. I think the dust got into the motor. Never let the smoke out, but it never ran again. I kept the open base and use it in my shop today. I inherited my Dad's Sears RAS. It was newer than the one I had, but had only minor improvements. I used the replacement MDF top from the recall on my original RAS on this saw. I have used it once in 5 years to make some dado cuts in 4X4 Douglas Fir for my current assembly table. I even cut the table top down so that it fits in the same spot in my multifunction wall table, just like my planer, my SCMS, and my Kreg jig table. But it takes up space I at times wish I could reclaim.
Will I let it go? Probably not...it was my Dad's. Will I use it enough to warrant the real estate it occupies? Probably not. Is it a constant reminder of my Dad's ability to inspire me to enjoy working with my hands? Definitely YES. Only you can decide how or if this saw fits you and your shop. Jim.

There are those that would be lost without one. I can't spare that big a foot print for something I can do with other tools. Bear in mind that my CMS is out in the storage shed as I never used it either. This is just one more example of how we are all different in one way or another.

Last edited: