What's it ???

...I wonder how many of you FWW people have owned an 18" woofer---or even heard of one...

Don't think I've ever owned one, but I've operated quite a few of them, including as recently as a few weekends ago. (Set up a DJ system using a pair of subwoofers with 18" JBL drivers.)

As I recall, the sub-bass cabinets in these stacks had a pair of 18" JBLs in them, too. Can't really see the cabinets too well in this photo, though...

Rock%20Fest%20PA%20Stacks.jpg

If the hairstyles didn't date that picture, the JBL bullet tweeters would :rofl:.

Well, that and the pair of 12 channel Teac mixing boards used for the monitor mix. Those stacks were pretty state of the art for their day. It was a quad-amped system, with Crown and Phase Linear power amps. The bass bins were folded horns, the equivalent of 12' long. The mid-bass cabs (to the right of and on top of the horns) were parabolic horns, with 12" JBLs as drivers. The high-end cabs had midrange horns (EV, as I recall) and the JBL bullets for the highs. We toured with the same gear, but just a pair of single stacks and 10,000 watts of power. The guy who owned them is a high-school buddy who is now the Director of Audio for all of the Harrah's properties in Las Vegas. He plays with much nicer (and smaller) gear these days.

As an aside, both of the guys in the pic have short hair these days. The guy on the left is a pro jazz drummer in LA (most often seen wearing a sport coat and tie) and the guy on the right is an amateur bass player who raises horses with his wife (most often seen wearing Wranglers and cowboy boots). :D

Sorry for the threadjack, Jay. :wave: