drawer question

Dan Noren

Staff member
hi gang!

ok, here goes. my nephew has changed his idea for an insert for a hole he has under the stairs in his basement. now he wants drawers here and there, the small wide one i'm pretty certain of the thickness of birch ply for the sides, but there is going to be one big (about 26w x 23d x 10h), and my question is, since this big drawer will be holding blankets, and one or two pillows, what thickness of ply would be recommended? thanks gang!

1/2" should work, larger drawers like that I even use 1/2" on the bottom, but usually do a 1/4" x 1/4" rabbet around and put a 1/4" groove about 3/8" up from the bottom for it set into.

1/2 inch is fine. but would also go with a 1/2 inch bottom on the large drawers instead of the usual 1/4 inch. Also you may consider using baltic birch ply as it has more plys to it, tends to run flatter and be stiffer.

The thickness of the sides and the bottom may seem to have an effect on how substantial a drawer box may be. In essence if a drawer is constructed properly and installed correctly, the thickness is inconsequential in most cases. A square drawer, with well fitted joints hardwared with the proper slides rolls almost effortlessly. I use ½" ply in the species of the cabinet if possible. Maple ply works out well for drawers otherwise, as it's light in color and smooth, and takes a clear finish well. For bottoms, I will use ¼" ply for most drawers even for that size. Sheets or towels, and items like clothing aren't loads considered "heavy", IMO, and offer a well dispersed weight distribution, allowing ¼" ply to be more than adequate. For very heavy center mass loads, a ½" ply bottom would be more substantial.

Drawer construction and installation will determine how well it will serve. Well fitted joints is a good start. A bottom that slides in a groove and passes the back that is a snug fit will square the drawer. It can also be a removable bottom in case of damage. Being removable, also permits the drawer box to be finished with the bottoms out, so they can be finished separately.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

I'm in mikes camp. I have 25" wide drawers with 1/4" bottoms full of pots and pans with no issues. Good joinery and good hardware make a happy drawer.