hole in the wall insert for my nephew

Dan Noren

Staff member
well kids, here we go! after 1 major revision, and 1 minor adjustment, my nephew has given the green light on the design :thumb:. the whole thing is 66 inches tall by 28 inches wide. he wanted 2 parts with doors at the top, a big drawer for a couple of blankets and a pillow, a medium size misc stuff drawer, a drawer for dvd's, and a couple of adjustable shelves (not asking too much is he? :rolleyes:). the case will be red oak plywood, and solid red oak. here is a pic of the design as he approved it, both sketchup original, and painted.

Attachments

• peety insert.jpg
    peety insert.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 71
Looks good, Dan. :thumb: Man, your nephew sure seems to have a lot of holes in the wall. Isn't this the second "hole in the wall" project you've worked on?

well, we spent most of the afternoon hunting down the lumber for this one. so far we've got the oak plywood, and the oak boards. tomorrow we get the baltic birch plywood for the drawers tomorrow, as we showed up about 10 minutes after they closed. the cutting of the boards and such commences tomorrow. my sister will be doing the staining/varnishing before the final assembly.

we got the baltic birch today, and started cutting. the pics show all of the lumber, all of the shelf parts cut, getting the sides ready for cutting the dadoes, all of the shelf dadoes taped off (that old trick really works! not one bit of veneer torn out), all of the dadoes routed (sorry, no pics of the rabbets for the back, perhaps next time), and the first test fitting. nice and tight, and square as all get out. now i have to wait until next thursday to continue (it's that whole work thing).

Attachments

• 001 boards ready to be cut.jpg
    001 boards ready to be cut.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 002 all parts cut.jpg
    002 all parts cut.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 003 side panels ready for routing.jpg
    003 side panels ready for routing.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 004 dado lines taped off.jpg
    004 dado lines taped off.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 005 shelf dadoes routed.jpg
    005 shelf dadoes routed.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 006 first test fitting.jpg
    006 first test fitting.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 34
But you're a poet. And you know it. :D

but my feet show it, they're longfellows! :rofl:

allen, the reason i went with ply for the case are manifold, but three come to mind, laziness, frugality (see cheap), and efficiency. for the first, it was easier to use ply rather than gluing up boards. for the second, it worked out better price-wise (trying to save him some money), and the third, i got all of the parts out of one 4x8 sheet with a bare minimum of waste. as for the other bits of ply (drawers and such), i wanted the overall stability. the solid stuff i rack up to the purist in me.

now i'm working on the list of items that need to be done before i sand everything, and turn it over to my sister for finishing. i'll be handling the final assembly, as i trust only myself with the persuader (could be dangerous in the wrong hands...)

Looking good Dan. I too will use ply for structural parts and ease of providing a large panel area when it saves me time. Aren't our loved ones lucky to have us around for this custom stuff? :D

well gang, the fun starts again tomorrow morning! funny thing is, i was talking with our landlord, and he wants me to make a set of shelves for his place up north. busy, busy, busy.... lol

well, another long day in the shop. lucky for me, the wife :blah: spent the time at the y, so i didn't have to worry about hearing from her this afternoon. first thing on the list today was to rout the dadoes for the divider panel that goes between the two doors. that worked out pretty good. then it was on to cutting the parts for the two drawer shelves. with that out of the way, it was off to glue up and clamp all the other shelves. i used a small block of the 3/4" plywood to make sure that the dado in the shelf stayed aligned. once that was done, it was time for another test fitting with all of the glued up shelving, and with the shelves in place, i clamped in the top and bottom. tomorrow's plan is to temporarily tack the top and bottom in place, and start fitting out the doors, drawers, and back.

Attachments

• 007 divider dado.jpg
    007 divider dado.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 009 drawer shelf glue up 1.jpg
    009 drawer shelf glue up 1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 15
  • 008 boards for drawer shelves.jpg
    008 boards for drawer shelves.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 010 drawer shelf glue up 2.jpg
    010 drawer shelf glue up 2.jpg