Todays garage sale deals

Tom Baugues

Today was a rare day for me. I very rarely get a Saturday off work especially when the weather is nice. However today was one of those days. So I got up early and decided to go out to a few garage sales in my neighborhood. I came home with these items. First was a bin full of mostly scrap wood. The lady said her late husband used to make knife handles. Most of it is very small scraps but I did see several pieces of what looks like Birdseye maple. I think I can get a few nice pen blanks from it. I also picked up at another sale a heavy duty bench vice made by Abernathy vise and tool Co. No handle on it but I thought it was a good deal at only $5.00. Then last was a nice older coping saw with a brass adjustment screw for only $1.00. Looks to be pretty old but still in great shape. I don't see a name on it but it does have a symbol on it. Ill have to do some more research on it. I think it will clean up very well.
All in all it has been a good morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0344 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0344 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0345 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0345 (Small).JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0347 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0347 (Small).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0348 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0348 (Small).JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0349 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0349 (Small).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I'm thinking you may have really scored on that bench vice and the coping saw I would clean up and hang on the wall. Nice haul. I quit going to garage sales in my area, 98% of the stuff is glassware or baby stuff. Not interested in either anymore.

That vice looks like a very nice deal. Good for you on saving the wood from that widow and putting it to use like her husband intended (doesn't matter if it is a knife or pen) you are using it. If they are to narrow, time to make some segmented pen blanks.

That saw has a rather unusual pistol shape handle, I'm pretty sure it will appeal to some collectors. Just for my enlightment, I thought that it was a hack saw, what is the difference with a coping saw? I understand that a coping saw has a much thinner blade like a jigsaw dunno... I'm still having some problems with english tool names.

Last edited:
That saw has a rather unusual pistol shape handle, I'm pretty sure it will appeal to some collectors. Just for my enlightment, I thought that it was a hack saw, what is the difference with a coping saw? I understand that a coping saw has a much thinner blade like a jigsaw dunno... I'm still having some problems with english tool names.

Toni, that question came to my mind also, I have never seen an coping saw like that before, and I have never seen a thin blade for a hack saw. Maybe a tool expert will jump in here and explain it. I'm curious which it really is. Pretty cool which ever it may be.

Tony, the reason I called it a coping saw is because the blade in it is just like all other coping saws I have ever seen. I only think of a hack saw as being used to cut metal.