Cat Scratch Fever

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So we've got an old entertainment center we need to get rid of. Too big and no room for it. It was for the old style big screen rear projection tv's.

I reckon it will be a challenge to sell anyway, but it has some scratches from the cat that need fixing.

Just wondering if anybody has any solid tips on how to repair the scratches without getting into a big ole project.

Thanks in advance for your help!

FWW-9309.jpgFWW-9310.jpg

What's the finish?

If it's shellac, sometimes just a few swipes with an alcohol-soaked rag will hide the scratches.

For lacquer, the same procedure, but with acetone on the rag.

For poly, you're screwed - total refinishing is the only way out.

It's a store bought piece, so I'm going to guess poly.

Wont hurt I guess to try an experiment with alcohol and acetone though...

Uhhhhh??? Question. Who is the proposed buyer for something that technology has made obsolete? I'd be thinking re-purposing. And failing to see a picture, I have no suggestions.

Target holder 100 yards out on the firing range? Worrying about scratches is instantly made redundant. The easy solution. :rofl: No alcohol or acetone was harmed in this proposal.

Uhhhhh??? Question. Who is the proposed buyer for something that technology has made obsolete? I'd be thinking re-purposing. And failing to see a picture, I have no suggestions.
Target holder 100 yards out on the firing range? Worrying about scratches is instantly made redundant. The easy solution. :rofl: No alcohol or acetone was harmed in this proposal.

There are pictures, if you're not seeing them, not sure why.

But, very good suggestions....

Be very open to repurposing suggestions...

OK. Saw the pictures. I see china cabinets if the finish is not too much trouble. Put baskets and greenery in the top open spaces, and viola! If you sell this, point out what it could be, not what it was, unless someone specifically asks. Just my two centavos.

Kinda too nice for target practice.

If the wood is open take a little pine stain to it and then a rag with a little Lac-over on it and briskly hit the areas.

Bingo!

I had a little 'ipswitch pine' stain. Not sure why I ever bought it, but it was 'NOS', how old, I don't even want to guess.

Put a little on a shop towel and wiped the scratches with it and wiped off the excess with another paper towel. The scratches are there in the wood still, but very difficult to see.

Thanks!

FWW-9323.jpg