sic transit gloria

That's a good idea, no ant problem, right now, but it would certainly keep them from knocking the bowl over. Not sure I understand how it keeps the ants out, do you put water in the terracotta portion?

That's a good idea, no ant problem, right now, but it would certainly keep them from knocking the bowl over. Not sure I understand how it keeps the ants out, do you put water in the terracotta portion?

Paul,

That is exactly it, a little water discourages the ants. I was just going to use a heavy glass or pottery bowl in the middle but naturally none were to be had that were suitable and safe to use without risking lynching. Couldn't even find a plastic container to glue down on short notice so I looked at the wood. Several candidates, this was the one I liked least. I didn't want the cat to think she was too uptown anyway, give her too fancy of a bowl and she would expect fish or steak in it every day!

Hu

Dan M,

I don't know how it is going to hold up, I put a couple coats of lacquer on the outside of the bowl after putting a coat thinned with acetone for penetration.

Dan N,

You are a cruel and heartless person! I don't know how you could think of such a thing. The terracotta is too small anyway. I will have to find a bigger bottom container, no fun until she has to decide to stick a paw in the water or not . . .

Hu

I did one for my sister similar but used several coats of tung oil finish. It is a year old and still doing well.

Good to know about the tung oil. I didn't have any but considered linseed oil. I just coated the outside of the bowl to not have to worry about contamination if my finish broke down.

You are braver than I am, my sister would do me great bodily harm if I tried to get her to eat out of a bowl like that!

Hu