Supermax 19-38 Drum Sander

glenn bradley

I received some strange emails from Human Resources while on vacation. Seems they were after me to attend some get together at the Chancellor's Residence. I told them thanks just the same but, I thought I'd pass. This did not go over well :). Turns out that I was being recognized for just doing my job and they wanted me there for all the broo-ha-ha. Took LOML and had a good time as far as those cocktail-party sorts of affairs go; not really my style.

At any rate there was a financial award of some sort and my birthday is coming up so . . . . this showed up today.

Supermax 19-38 (1).jpg

It was very well packed and went together quite easily.

Supermax 19-38 (10).jpg . Supermax 19-38 (9).jpg

I had been bird-dogging this model for about a year and a half. Reports kept coming in with high ratings and long term satisfaction. The story of the company is pretty cool and it is nice to shove my money at an American company.

Supermax 19-38 (13).jpg

I made and swapped in a finer grit paper (it comes with 80grit) and that task was stupid-easy. From my research, this model deals with a few of the evils that tarnish other formats. I have nothing to compare it to but, can say that paper changes, belt alignment and head alignment are a breeze. It is super quiet and dust collection is very good.

The frame, carriage and chassis are massive cast iron. Good look and feel. Clean fit and finish. I will build a drawered mobile base for it. Something with this footprint can not simply take up space, it has to earn its keep :D. I'll report back after a few months of use and see where we are.

Last edited:
Now that's a nice unit! And all for just doing your job!

Do dads ever get tired of being proud of their sons? Can you really out grow that? I bet Mr. Jim has an extra git in his git-along!

Congrats Glenn!

Very cool. You're obviously keeping the right people at work happy. ;) I've got the Perfomax 18" cousin to that one and you're right, there's a surprising amount of cast iron in them. :thumb: