natural edge vase

Nice job keeping the bark together, wouldn't have taken a whole lot for a few oopsies there!! :eek: I do love the crazy grain in this sort of work.

I like the form in general; specifically I think the understated foot helps stand it up a little and sets off the "broken globe" look more effectively - not sure if that was what you were heading for, but it seems to work.

Stephen this is a trophy piece for sure. The skill level required to turn such a piece and keep it intact is excellent. Your tool work and sanding look impeccable. It reminds me of some Bert Marsh or Ray Key pieces I have seen. My only suggestion would be to reduce the diameter of the foot. I think it could be half its present diameter and the piece would not look so tied to the floor if you know what I mean. Congratulations on a very fine piece of turning.

If you are not familiar with Bert Marsh's work (he very recently passed) or that of Ray Key you should Google them both and take inspiration from their natural edge work. Both are famous for it.

Last edited:
Wow thanks all. Chuck I bet you all ready have a bunch of this cherry burl, just hiding in your shop. :rofl::thumb: Mike will look these guys up thanks. I think if I find the right piece of wood to do another one of these, I'm gonna do a round bottom, and turn a ring for it to sit in. That way it'll still stand up right, but for those that don't like feet i'll have that to.:rofl::D