Massive Oak Mutation

I couldn't resist posting this. I was on a walk through a local park this last Sunday, and we ran across this "little" surprise. Man oh man, the woodturner in me just about flipped his lid. This growth was at the base of an oak tree.

-Hutch

Attachments

• Huge Tree Growth.jpg
    Huge Tree Growth.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 83
The first picture sort of looks like the roots were girdling the tree without killing it. I actually know where there are several trees like that with similar growths that were planted next to a sidewalk on a school campus and they all have massive bark covered growths encircling the base of the tree.

The others pictured, I would guess, are true root burls. I would like a shot at turning any of them.

I don't have a picture, so no one will believe me, but there's a tree in Duesen Park on the East side of Houston that I used to pass every day
on the way to work... it was too far off the street to sneak in some night, but there must have been a dozen or more burls on the tree... from the base all the way up the trunk, most looked to be the size of a basketball or bigger.

If only I could take a chainsaw to this one. I generally like the idea of leaving healthy trees standing, but this one tempts me. You guys who have had a shot at a growth like this make me jealous. :D

- Hutch