Great Holdfast/Batten Technique!

Bill Satko

My bench does not have an end-vise and I have used battens with my holdfasts to secure work, but I find this style of batten and method to be way ahead of how I have been doing it. This <<link>> is to Richard Maquire's blog The English Woodworker, where he demostrates his batten in a video. Check it out. Richard, if you don't know, is the owner of Maquire Workbenches.

The more tricks I see with holdfasts the more I like them. Really this is at least 5x faster than using my tail vise; at least as solid and offers the option of clamping almost anywhere on my bench. Its a ridiculously good and in hindsight obvious idea - but I'd never have thought of it myself I don't think.

Someone should compile a viceless woodworking book :p

Well, it appears we are not the only ones that think this clamping technique is neat. I have seen other responses from the online community, but I could not help but link to Rob Campbell's blog (The Joiner's Apprentice) where he mentions it (lower down in the blog). I got to meet Rob earlier this year over at Port Townsend. He moved there this past year from Oregon and is now a teaching assistant at the Port Townsend Woodworking School.