Thompson "V" Versus "U" Bowl Gouges

Mike Turner

I have a 4 Thompson gouges....1/2" spindle gouge, a 3/8"V Bowl gouge, 1/2" V Bowl gouge and 5/8" V Bowl gouge...All are great tools but I am still learning on them. I am yet to try a "U" bowl and I have a birthday coming up in August so I am looking to hear how they compare if someone has used both. I do love his tools! Has anyone tried the 3/4" bowl gouges too?

If you don't have a U shaped Thompson, that would be a good addition. Ultimately, you'll probably end up with two in each size...one U and one V. ;) For me, I find the U shape is handier on the insides of bowls, and the V is handier on the outside, particularly when I'm doing shearing cuts with the wings of the gouge.

I have four of the Thompson turning tools. I purchased three and one came as a gift from a very wonderful person. When I wanted to pay for it I was told, "Pass it forward." They are excellent tools. They sharpen well and easily. They stay sharp longer, even in hickory (a real tool duller).

Even though I have had a lathe for several years I have used it very little until recently. So, even though I have a fair amount of "book learnin'" on the subject, I still consider myself a rank amateur. Vaughn, on the other hand, does beautiful sophisticated turning---pay attention to him!

We have other excellent turners. I am sure you have seen their threads with pictures and explanations. You can figure out who they are; pay extra attention to their comments.

Enjoy your turning,

JimB