Dust collector upgrade

Ok, so most of you know what I was running for a DC.

1.jpg

Well it just wasn't getting the job done, especially when I was using the planer and drum sander. So I purchased this from Oneida.

2.jpg

I am very happy with the function. I ran a couple tests, as good as I could. I ran a bunch of MDF through the sander and planed a few boards. I did get a small amount of dust in the filter from sanding. The planer produced almost no filter dust. Before I got too crazy with some of my ideas, I made a duplicate of the bottom of the cyclone.

3.jpg

I then cut a 6" hole in a 55 gal barrel top and mounted the cyclone on top.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Here is a picture of the bag after the test. Very little dust made it there.

6.jpg

Now it is time to get serious with this thing. I want to wall mount the cyclone. I made a stand for the cyclone and mounted it the the wall.

8.jpg

I found some 6" HVAC duct adapters at Menards and bought two. Mounted them tot he barrel and bottom of the cyclone wall mount.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Along with Jim's 6" hose, here it is in all it's glory.

11.jpg

So what I was left with after the cyclone was wall mounted.

12.jpg

First thing I had to do was remove the motor from the base. The impeller had to be turned 90 degrees. I had to remove the impeller to get to the bolts that hold the impeller housing in place. When I pulled the impeller, I didn't notice I had buggered up the threads. I had to chamfer end of the shaft. So if anybody pulls their's make sure you chamfer first :D

I wanted a straight pull from the motor to the cyclone. I had to purchase a 6' to 5" reducer. Found that at a local furnace dealer. I also took a small piece of the 5" to finish up the connection. I mounted two pieces of 3/4 ply to the wall, so I could mount the motor to it.

15.jpg

For the filter and bag assembly, I pulled the 3 supports off the factory base and bent them with my conduit bender. I went slow as to not break the bender because the legs are thicker than regular conduit. I then figured out the spacing and cut the new legs to what I hoped would be the right length. I had the old ends welded back on too the new bent legs.

17.jpg

I remounted the legs to the housing. I had to drill a couple new holes.

18.jpg

Now for the question of filter mounting, I wanted to be able to remove the filter without pulling the bag. I figure I could just mount it from the outside with turnbuckles. I used four, instead of the three it came with. I bought some heavier duty type. I like the way it works and it is holding up so far. Four seems to be the ticket, good even pull all the way around. I didn't over torque them, just snug. I drilled four new holes for this.

20.jpg

And here it is, all wall mounted.

21.jpg

I would like to move the filter up higher but the garage door track is in the way. I can't make up my mind on whether cut the track or just remove the filter and dump the filter line outside. I also need to have a better bracket made to move the center of the mount/ impeller to be more in center with the cyclone. As of now, it is working like a champ. Next is to hard pipe the tablesaw and maybe a drop for the wheeled stuff. I will be using 4" sch 35, as I have a bunch on hand and it won't really be that long of a pull.

Last edited:
That looks great Steve. Nice cobble job. It is amazing how little material gets to the filter with a cyclone in the path. I still shake my head when I have emptied the barrel a half a dozen times and see only a teaspoon of fines in the filter catch-bag.

Fantastic job Steve. A great solution. Seems like it even saves some space, since you don't need much room under that filter for the bag. :thumb:

Seems like you could just route the exhaust directly outside, and eliminate the filter completely. It should work great - at least for the Summer, when heat loss isn't a concern. Replace the glass in that window with plex, or acrylic, and cut a hole for the hose...

I disconnected my DC unit yesterday and ran some tests. The tests worked fine so I am going to see how much improvement I can get by exhausting outside instead of into the 1 micron bag.

Your rig looks great Steve. I would think that you would pick up quite a bit of efficiency with the new layout.

Enjoy,
JimB

Way to go Steve.

So apart from your hand work and labor way I see it you have a high dollar dust collector for low dollar costs.

Correct me if I am wrong somewhere...

HF 2 hp dust collector $199 on sale and if one got a 20% coupon then $160
Filter from Wynn and if one chose the top of the line one it would run $ 168
Then the Oneida super dust deputy ...................................................$239
Total ex shipping $ 567

That is really good for the quality of the setup you have. Only upgrade I can think of that I recall hearing is that the Jet impeller is slightly bigger than the HF unit and that would provide better air flow but I am definitely not sure on this point. Would love someone to comment on this point.

I think I will be joining Bob in copying this design. Thanks Steve for all the upfront work and posting.

I disconnected my DC unit yesterday and ran some tests. The tests worked fine so I am going to see how much improvement I can get by exhausting outside instead of into the 1 micron bag.

Your rig looks great Steve. I would think that you would pick up quite a bit of efficiency with the new layout.

Enjoy,
JimB

Curious how the test came out; with & without the filter