Just what I needed today...

John its looking real good and a fantastic hobby. I am trying to stay away from your post as this is something I have always wanted to do and take part in ever since I gave up sailing catamarans. Seeing you build one is tempting every ounce or restraint in my body. So forgive me for not replying to your thread. I think you going to enjoy this boat and hobby more than you can imagine at this point and you got a fantastic and wise brother too boot. Will be something you can participate in for a long time with very little physical need and loads of mental distraction. Was real nice of him to get you a big one. Color me green green green and purple with envy. I will indulge through your experiences keep us posted.

Have you come up with a name for her yet. Make sure to do the full honors you know boats and superstitions.

It's getting close!

Here's a bow and stern shot showing the transom. I don't know about you, but I love the contrast of the varnished wood deck on the deep blue hull. I'm SO bummed though. The first two coats of varnish went on the deck fine. I put a light third coat on and I came back a few hours later and looked at it. The finish kind of "checked" and wrinkled. :( That was several days ago. I decided to let it harden and then paint the hull. Well I finished the hull and sanded down the checks and wrinkles in the last coat of varnish and it was nice and smooth again. I hit it with a tack rag and applied another coat. Within 10 minutes, it started checking again. :( Not as bad as the first time, but it's still there. I think that I'm going to leave well enough alone and go with it for a while. I'll finish the rigging and put it to use. Once I learn how to sail and use it for a while, I might strip it down and start over with the deck. (maybe a good winter project)

Oh yeah, that cheap $15 HF detail spray gun worked GREAT for applying the two part epoxy paint to the hull. Here's what she looks like now...

T37-12.jpgT37-13.jpg

Last edited:
Not only my health issues.

Major changes are coming in my life that I'm not ready for. I don't want to stop working in the trades, but I don't have much choice. I'm filing for disability and that's something I've been fighting for a long time. I've had people telling me to do it for over a year, but it's time. I've got an appointment on the 20th with a lawyer that's going to handle the paperwork for me. She says it should be a slam dunk.

I'm hoping that getting the disability benefits will at least help reduce some of my stress.

John, forgive me if you've already explained what the issues are but I haven't been around much......are your health issues from that fall on the ice a few years back?....I believe if memory serves me, you were carrying something into a house you were working on and hurt yourself in the fall.

Sorry to hear you are on tough times right now, hope things turn around for you and relief comes soon.

Hi Steve,
long time no talk.

No, I healed up really well from that broken shoulder. But back in September of 2011, I went in for a complete physical because of some knee/leg issues I was having. Had some tests done that aren't part of a normal physical. I went in for the results and the doctor said that it looked like I had Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS). That's pretty much a death sentence! So I spent three months thinking that I was dieing. After seeing a couple different neurologists, they ruled out ALS which was very good news. But it turns out that I have a VERY rare genetic disorder called Late Onset Tay Sachs disease. There are three forms of Tay Sachs which are infantile, juvenile, and late onset. There is no cure and no treatment for any of the three. The first two forms are fatal. The good news is that late onset generally isn't fatal, but it's debilitating. I'm one of only roughly one hundred confirmed cases in the entire country. The bad news is that I'm more than likely headed for a wheel chair at some point in the future. I don't know when, but it's a pretty good likelihood. :( I'm just having a very hard time dealing with it and the stress I've been under since diagnosis has been unbelievable. After talking to my brother one evening, he could sense that things are really tough for me and I'm not dealing with it very well. He decided to order this kit and send it to me so I'd have something to hopefully get my mind off of my troubles for a little while. It is helping a bit and does allow me to relax for a little while during the construction. It' about 80% complete at this point and when it's done, I'll be able to take it to the local lake and sail for a few hours of enjoyment too when things start getting me down.

Last edited:
John, first of all, I just latched onto this thread & I'm really sory to hear about your health situation. You appear to be a fighter and will find a way to get through this. My best wishes for that to happen with the least amount of stress.

As far as your new RC sailboat is concerned, what a wonderful project! It's coming along nicely & the color combination is simply beautiful. It'll be so impressive on the water - everyone's envy! I couldn't resist reading your progress reports. You've made a fan of me as each reading of your progress has given me the idea to build one of these sailboat kits for my daughter. She lives in Manhattan & frequently visits Central Park to watch others RC'ing their sailboats. It's a pleasant way to spend time there. I can picture her now with her boy friend spending an afternoon having a picnic lunch & sailing their little boat.

I don't do much woodworking unless it is repair work or a special project, yet I've been building up my shop & this may just be a great way to start using the recently acquired tools. I won't be able to build a large boat as she has a small apartment, but it would still be fun for her & us when we visit.

Thanks for posting this thread John. I'm anxious to see further progress reports, the finished product & pictures of you sailing your new toy.

I'm so bummed!

The boat is just about finished, but I ran into a snag. Paint work is all done and I've got the rudder installed. I'm in the process of installing the radio gear and finishing the rigging. I just discovered that there's no receiver! Gonna have to get on the phone tomorrow and have them send me one.

Oh well, I guess it's probably for the best. I can't wait to put this thing in the water, but I just painted the hull on Sunday. The two part epoxy is dry, but it takes from four to seven days to fully cure. That's OK, my brother won't be here until at least the 24th, so I should have time to get the receiver and finish rigging the boat. Maybe I'll have him make her maiden voyage! :)

Cool!

I found the receiver. It's a lot smaller than I had expected and when I pulled the transmitter out of the bubble wrap, it was in a small bag and it fell into the white paper packing material that was still in the main shipping box. There's a chance she'll be ready for the water some time today! I'll post pics of the final project when it's completed.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this project when done. John, the paint looks great and you should be very proud of yourself for the way this has all come together. You have worked hard on it and the reward of that hard work is very close at hand. Do you know of someone that can shoot any video of its maiden voyage to share with us?

Oh yeah, that won't be a problem Tom.
I've got a small pond in my sub that might work but it's not very big. My mom lives in a condo about a half hour from me and they have a couple really nice small lakes that will be PERFECT for sailing this thing. The good part is that there is ALWAYS a good stiff breeze out there. This is going to be a ball!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this project when done. John, the paint looks great and you should be very proud of yourself for the way this has all come together. You have worked hard on it and the reward of that hard work is very close at hand. Do you know of someone that can shoot any video of its maiden voyage to share with us?

YA a video if possible would be fantastic:D

The next phase of the project is a much nicer cradle. This one was just one that I threw together so I'd have a place to set the hull during construction. I want a nicer one to take to the lake so I've got a place to set the boat when it's not in the water. But I've also got an idea for a wall hanging version so I can display the boat in my man cave. :)