Pink lumber???

Frank Fusco

Watched that Swamp people show the other night. Love it.
Anyhow, one of the characters and some friends decided to build a houseboat. They took a load of lumber in a jon boat (floating pick-up truck?) to the site. Part of the load was a large amount of 2x4s that were bright, shocking pink. :huh:
Nebber seed nuthin' like it before. Very startling color. I figured it might be some kind of specially treated wood for use in the brackish swamp. I also guessed it would be used as a base and near the bottom to avoid insects and rot. Figured wrong. It was used side by side with the other lumber, no special placement apparent. That makes it even more puzzling.
OK, those who live in or near Cajun land.....wassup with the pink lumber?:dunno:

Watched that Swamp people show the other night. Love it.
Anyhow, one of the characters and some friends decided to build a houseboat. They took a load of lumber in a jon boat (floating pick-up truck?) to the site. Part of the load was a large amount of 2x4s that were bright, shocking pink. :huh:
Nebber seed nuthin' like it before. Very startling color. I figured it might be some kind of specially treated wood for use in the brackish swamp. I also guessed it would be used as a base and near the bottom to avoid insects and rot. Figured wrong. It was used side by side with the other lumber, no special placement apparent. That makes it even more puzzling.
OK, those who live in or near Cajun land.....wassup with the pink lumber?:dunno:

I just bought some recently for a project. They range in color from pink to purple that is just a coating applied after manufacture. From what I've read it denotes a structural stud as from what I've seen they are made from southern yellow pine and seem to have fewer defects.

I used the ones I got to build a cart for my wood floor project and they actually stayed straight after running them across the jointer and thru the planer to get rid of the pink color.

Fire retardant studs have to be stamped that they are so. All the ones we ever used in construction were so stamped and if the inspector couldn't see it it was rejected. They were mainly used on commercial buildings for blocking in the walls and for around rough openings for doors. I had to make the framers reverse many a stud because they just didn't pay attention.

Oh and the pink studs burn very well.

I've seen the studs in the Lowe's down in Houston area that were pink... and in our export packing operation, once in a while we would get a load of 2 x 4's in that were pink in color... think it's just a preservative that's sprayed or dipped on the woods... have also seen new construction houses that pink wall studs. Haven't seen much here in TN, but don't go to Lowe's or Home Depot as much as I used to.