Fabulous Clearance Price?

You'd really think somebody would catch that kind of thing at some level before it would go on the shelves. That's just mind boggling.

I think that the examples posted just show that nobody really reads those labels, even those who print them, A bright yellow sign with words like "clearance" or "bargain" are enough to catch your attention for the second needed to make what is described as impulse buying decision. The fact that the original price is in small fonts and the new one in big ones helps with the whole illusion. LOML when at shops always says "look! that's only 4 €! when in reality it is 4,99, and I always reply, no, it is 5€, I took the habit of rounding all those figures up instead of down and it has spared me buying unneeded items many times.

I think that the examples posted just show that nobody really reads those labels, even those who print them, A bright yellow sign with words like "clearance" or "bargain" are enough to catch your attention for the second needed to make what is described as impulse buying decision. The fact that the original price is in small fonts and the new one in big ones helps with the whole illusion. LOML when at shops always says "look! that's only 4 €! when in reality it is 4,99, and I always reply, no, it is 5€, I took the habit of rounding all those figures up instead of down and it has spared me buying unneeded items many times.

Years and years ago, I took a marketing class in college... the instructor pointed out that this is a gender difference in the way we read... a woman will usually ignore the cents after the decimal, a man will round up and read the whole number.... I find the concept of taking a percentage or a set $$ amount off a base price... people will say "I've saved $15 on this purchase of $100... when in fact it's something they don't need they haven't saved $15... they've actually spent $85....

We all do the rounding thing incorrectly on a frequent basis. Gas is 3.89 a gallon when it is actually 3.89 9/10 a gallon. It is much closer to 3.90. And why don't they make it 3.90, why the 9/10's? I'm so old, I think I can remember when there was no 9/10's. And why do people drive clear across town to "save" like .03 a gallon. Burning a gallon or more to get there?

Last year I took a longer than normal RV trip. Before I left, my brother-in-law sent me an e-mail of a site where I could find the cheapest places along the way to buy gas. Ya, like I'm going to drive around, pulling a trailer to find a station where I can save .02 a gallon. It is almost an obsession with some people.

Last edited:
Paul, I downloaded the "gas buddy" app to my phone before I took a weeklong trip in my parents RV thinking I'd save myself some $$. It's updated by people reporting in what they paid...thought I could save some other some $$ too by reporting what I found. I never even looked at the app once!!! :doh::) Diesel was so much cheaper in South Dakota I fealt like I was saving $$ already!!

I will be taking advantage of Lowe's 50% off deal for kingsford charcoal today...40lbs for $9.99!! :thumb:

I remember many years ago when self service gas stations were just becoming popular my father in law standing in the pouring rain pumping his own gas to save 3 cents/gallon. The station right next door was 3 cents more expensive but they had an attendant fill the tank. He saved about a quarter. :dunno:
When we got home I told him if he went out and stood in the backyard in the rain I'd give him 25 cents. He said of course not. :thud:

Paul, I downloaded the "gas buddy" app to my phone before I took a weeklong trip in my parents RV thinking I'd save myself some $$. It's updated by people reporting in what they paid...thought I could save some other some $$ too by reporting what I found. I never even looked at the app once!!! :doh::) Diesel was so much cheaper in South Dakota I fealt like I was saving $$ already!!

I will be taking advantage of Lowe's 50% off deal for kingsford charcoal today...40lbs for $9.99!! :thumb:

South Dakota, that's where I went, Mount Rushmoore. completed an item on my bucket list. What a beautiful place!

Paul is truly is beautiful, I'd forgotten since the last time I was there when I was 14. The trip was great, but for a golf ball size hail storm that hit while at Rushmore. Did $3500 damage to my parents RV. :doh:Had to gorilla tape a plastic vent hood, but only dents besides that.

I remember many years ago when self service gas stations were just becoming popular my father in law standing in the pouring rain pumping his own gas to save 3 cents/gallon. The station right next door was 3 cents more expensive but they had an attendant fill the tank. He saved about a quarter. :dunno:
When we got home I told him if he went out and stood in the backyard in the rain I'd give him 25 cents. He said of course not. :thud:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm another person who won't drive across town to save a couple of cents per gallon, but I do use GasBuddy when I'm traveling. A lot of times it'll tell me I can save 10 cents (or more) per gallon if I'll drive a few blocks away from the Interstate. It's also handy for finding out about truck stops that might be 5 or 10 miles past the town I'm thinking of filling up in.