New Biesemeyer Fence for an Old Grizzly

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Copied this from my gloat thread, because I think it belongs here more.

I had an old shop fox fence on my table saw. It was FANCY! Wheels, all kinds of adjustments you can make, it wouldn't come up off the table if you used hold downs. Like I said FANCY!.

But, it was hard to adjust, it liked to chew up the tape measure on it, it didn't really want to stay put.

So when BW was here, I realized how bad it was finally, so I ordered up a new BC30 Biesemeyer 30" rails fence.

Should have done it years ago. Biggest challenge installing it was getting past drilling holes in the cast iron.

That was too darn easy. 8 Holes and I'm pretty much ready to roll.

Need to make a little table to fill in the side on the right, but wow, what a difference in ease of use and adjustment.

I guess I've never really used a nice fence before, so it's one of those, "I didn't know what I was missing" kind of things.

So easy to adjust, cause there was nothing TO adjust, well, really. I pulled out the dial indicator and I have it darn near parallel to the miter slot. I let it go about 3 thousands wide at the back end.

View attachment 76737View attachment 76738View attachment 76739View attachment 76740

Attachments

• DSCN4510.jpg
    DSCN4510.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN4511.jpg
    DSCN4511.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN4512.jpg
    DSCN4512.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN4513.jpg
    DSCN4513.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Ok, Just made a few cuts, and It might be like a little kid wearing new sneakers thinking he can run faster and jump higher, but I am noticing a huge difference.

I think with the old fence, I could adjust it, and the next cut it might be out of whack. It should have been, but I think it was and I think it regularly pinched the work into the blade.

This one, setup with just about 3 thousands wider at the back is cutting like butter. So much smoother.

Again, should have done this years ago!

NICE! Yep every time I upgrade a tool I wonder, why didn't I do this sooner!!? I do have question about that type fence, how do you attach items to the top of it, like feather boards or something? The fence that came with my Steel City was that type of fence (but no way close to a Biesemeyer) and I never figured it out short of having to drill holes in it.

NICE! Yep every time I upgrade a tool I wonder, why didn't I do this sooner!!? I do have question about that type fence, how do you attach items to the top of it, like feather boards or something? The fence that came with my Steel City was that type of fence (but no way close to a Biesemeyer) and I never figured it out short of having to drill holes in it.

I've still got to do more research on that, but I think there are some cool clamps you can use to secure sacrificial fences to it without drilling holes, etc...

If anyone has some tips on that, I'd sure like to see them too!

Well, wasn't going to do anything else much today, and it's 95 degrees in the shop, so thought I'd put the little side table together and bolt it in there.

DSCN4514.jpg

I've still got to do more research on that, but I think there are some cool clamps you can use to secure sacrificial fences to it without drilling holes, etc...

If anyone has some tips on that, I'd sure like to see them too!

I use these. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17821&site=ROCKLER

Giving up the Beis was one of the things that held me off from changing saws for so long. I loved that fence. I still get to visit it at dad's.

I know what you mean about drilling the cast iron. I hemmed and hawed for weeks and when I finally did it, it was soooo easy.

I have to say, I'm already impressed with the rock solid nature of this beast. Will be picking up some of those clamps post haste!

The only think I don't like about my Biese fence.......it's on my old Ridgid contractor saw and not on my G0691!!!!!:D I need to make a new rail for my Griz that will accept the Biese fence. The Griz is a smaller tube.
And yes, the Rockler brackets are very nice. Perfect for a sacrificial fence. I did buy a 4' piece of heavy duty T-track from Peachtree when they were here for the Woodworking Show. Contemplating drilling and tapping holes in the top of the fence and mounting it to give a place to anchor down hold downs. Jim.

edit: "The only "thing" not think. :doh:

Last edited:
I take it you've not used an Incra? :whistling: :D

Apples and Oranges. Different tools for different (although sometimes similar) purposes :thumb:. I have incremental positioning tools and even with a DRO, a T-Square style fence just isn't an incremental positioner. A Beis or good Beis clone can take stresses that I would never introduce to my aluminum extrusions. The Beis is a beast and sometimes braun is preferred over brains. In my case, hopefully not often because I am getting lower and lower on braun as time marches on :D:D:D.

Last edited:
I take it you've not used an Incra? :whistling: :D

My personal opinion aside, I know Brent's going to be VERY happy with the new Bies. :thumb: Especially compared to the abomination he replaced on that saw. :yes:

Your Right Vaughn but I was using my Biez in a production shop and would not of traded it for ANYTHING. Set it forget it and carry on only checked adj 2 times in 17 years of using it and never had t adj it after the first setting. Its a beast
Now have a uni-saw and uni-fence and HATE both what a piece junk compared to the Model 66 and Biez fence

Last edited:
Apples and Oranges. Different tools for different (although sometimes similar) purposes :thumb:. I have incremental positioning tools and even with a DRO, a T-Square style fence just isn't an incremental positioner. A Beis or good Beis clone can take stresses that I would never introduce to my aluminum extrusions. The Beis is a beast and sometimes braun is preferred over brains. In my case, hopefully not often because I am getting lower and lower on braun as time marches on :D:D:D.

We are about 180' out of sync with one another. My braun is about the same, but I'm getting less and less brain as time marches on. I think I stay somewhat in shape from wandering around trying to remember what I was doing, where I was going or where I put the tool I just laid down!! :huh: :doh:

Now have a uni-saw and uni-fence and HATE both what a piece junk compared to the Model 66 and Biez fence

What would be the main difference between the Biez and the Uni-fence? I could have easily gotten one of the grizz clones, but for some reason just decided to splurge this time.

I'm wondering what it is about the biez that makes it better. I mean, there really doesn't seem to be that much to it, Hardly anything to adjust, which as I'm finding out, I quite like.

...A Beis or good Beis clone can take stresses that I would never introduce to my aluminum extrusions. The Beis is a beast and sometimes braun is preferred over brains...

You might be surprised how brawny the Incra TS fence is, especially when it's locked down to the front and back rails. ;) What sort of stresses are you putting on your fence?

You might be surprised how brawny the Incra TS fence is, especially when it's locked down to the front and back rails. ;) What sort of stresses are you putting on your fence?

Main reason I didn't get the incra fence, is because I already have one on my Router table. I figure if I ever need the precise positioning, I can easily move it over and use it on the saw.

This way, with the Bies and my Incra, I get the best of both worlds.

I agree though, when the incra is locked down its pretty darn stable.

The big issue we had with my old fence was running the chunks of table top across it. One little, and I mean little tap, and that fence would go out of whack. We had to back it up with some clamps to make sure it stayed put.