New Biesemeyer Fence for an Old Grizzly

What would be the main difference between the Biez and the Uni-fence? I could have easily gotten one of the grizz clones, but for some reason just decided to splurge this time.

I'm wondering what it is about the biez that makes it better. I mean, there really doesn't seem to be that much to it, Hardly anything to adjust, which as I'm finding out, I quite like.

Brent the Biez could be pulled off and put back on without changing anything It just stays adjusted and the indicator once set to the way you use the saw (ie where you are standing in relation to the fence when setting it) is repeatable with very little problems. The Uni-fence you have to make sure the handle is turn right or it wont lock down and it always moves every time you move the fence and the indicator is to far from the tape to be accurate or repeatable. I am having to adjust it all the time it just wont stay the only good thing about the Uni-fence is the fence can be set for a high fence or a low fence and I use the low for cutting small pipe sides but the Biez still works even better for that too in my opinion. I had to install a digital system to get repeat cuts with the Uni-fence not so with the Biez .

Now there are a lot of people that love there Uni-Saws I just dont happen to be one of them after having the Powermatic 66 with Biez fence its just a SO much better set up. :chair:

Another thing too Brent on the Biez you can tap it over and lock it down way easier than on the Uni-fence. When I tap the Uni over thats when it come out of the rails and then you have to fiddle around to get the handle turned to lock it in again and around and around you go....:doh::bang:

brent i think there are some pics in the jigs and tips forum showing glenns and some of my methods with a bez style fence and feather boards and sacrificial fences all with the use of the rockler clamps no holes in the fence at all..

Main reason I didn't get the incra fence, is because I already have one on my Router table. I figure if I ever need the precise positioning, I can easily move it over and use it on the saw...

My first Incra jig was similar to the one that you have on the router table, in that the base had to be mounted (clamped or screwed) to the table. When I won the one I'm using now, I splurged and got the rails and bridge piece to allow it to ride on rails instead of the base. Makes it operates much more like a typical tablesaw fence (but with Incra repeatability), and also allows for the fence to be removed or reattached in seconds.

That all said, I have no doubt the new Bies is gonna put a big ol' smile on your face every time you use it. :thumb: It's the most popular tablesaw fence for good reason.

I have a Grizzly clone on my 691. Decent fence, but it is NOT a Biese!!!! When I lock the Griz down, the back end pops up, and then settles back down. I can control how hard with pressure on the lock arm, but it still moves. The Biese doesn't budge. Not sure if it is something in the build of the fence, the angles it is attached to the fence, or just the sheer weight of the Biese fence that keeps it in contact with the table, but on my short list is to buy some 2X3 steel tubing to make a new long tube for the 691 so I can use the Biese fence on both saws. Jim.

What would be the main difference between the Biez and the Uni-fence? I could have easily gotten one of the grizz clones, but for some reason just decided to splurge this time.

I'm wondering what it is about the biez that makes it better. I mean, there really doesn't seem to be that much to it, Hardly anything to adjust, which as I'm finding out, I quite like.

I guess I should correct my wording above...the Griz fence locks in place, it's just that the back end moves up and down. It doesn't move into or away from the blade. It's not an issue with accuracy, just in popping up at the back of the fence when locking it down. I was out in the shop a few minutes ago and noticed that I left the Griz fence locked to the tube...I usually release the lock when not in use. Before I released it, I looked at the "button" that rides on the rear angle iron and found it about 1/8" above the angle...not resting on it at all. Pushed down on the fence and it mated to the angle and stayed there after pressure on the fence was released. I remember I played around some at one time with making an arm that would attach to the back of the fence that would ride under the angle iron lip to keep the fence from popping up at the rear. Seemed to be overly complicated to make. At least more so than getting or making a new tube and using the Biese fence on the saw. Finding new Biese fence tubes is tougher, and about 200 bucks for the 82" unit. Hmmm....to splurge or try to build one first????? :huh::huh:Jim.

Maybe you could shim things a bit for a better fit?

Was just using the Biese today. What a joy. It's dead on accurate, doesn't move at all. I'm kicking myself for not doing it years ago.

You gonna love it. I have the same Craftsman saw as Glenn and it came with the Biesmeyer fence. Its made the whole tablesaw experience a delight. Best thing Craftsman ever did.

I have been storing two new (in the box) Biesmeyer fences (30") for many years now for someone and the wife says they need to go. If there is interest, let me know and I will contact the wayward owner (Greg you listening :)) and see if something can be worked out. It is too late for Brent, but not for the rest of you.

I have been storing two new (in the box) Biesmeyer fences (30") for many years now for someone and the wife says they need to go. If there is interest, let me know and I will contact the wayward owner (Greg you listening :)) and see if something can be worked out. It is too late for Brent, but not for the rest of you.

That's right! Doh! I totally forgot about that deal. :doh: