And Bad Words Were Said

Vaughn the Black is simple to deal with and the ground ( sparkles ) coat is also and the clear coat included in the $57 but If you want to purple color for the outer edge I would need you to check out a auto paint store for the tone you want and get me the color code so I can order it. May be another $20 but not much. I using all automotive paints. They give me the best finish.

Anyway I would be honored to do this for ya.

Vaughn this is the Black Diamond Look with out the clear coat. If you ride by a Caddy dealer stop and take a look. I add in a bit more of the ground coat. And it sparkles like stars at night when light hit it.

With Clear coat over my my heat shields

Last edited:
Dave, I think you've talked me into it. ;) I'll do some checking at an auto paint store for colors. I'd like to do black on the edges fading to purple in the middle, with the sparkles in both colors if possible. A few questions:

I figure I can do the surface prep before I send the body. How fine does it need to be sanded? 120 grit? 220 grit?

Should the old finish come off, or should I just Bondo the gaps in the finish and level it all out?

Do I need to know the brand of paint when picking the color, or do the auto paint guys use a system like Pantone for their colors?

Thanks... :wave:

I need the color code for the purple and if you sand to 320-400 I'll do the rest. Don't use bondo I hate that stuff. I have a dent filler that is great for small dings and cracks.

Are you getting a new body if not then yes use bondo to get the old one back in shape.

OK, I'll get it sanded down and shop for paint color. I'll be using the old body...I'll see how much Bondo might be needed after I do so sanding. If I can get by without using any Bondo, I'll avoid it. I'll plan to do the sanding while I'm still here in LA and have all my sanders. Probably wait until I'm in Albuquerque in a week or so before I ship it to you. I'll keep you posted. :thumb:

Sent from my Tricorder using the Transporter Room and my thumbs.

Well I got half way through this and wanted to reach through the screen and slap ya up side the head Vaughn.:thumb::thumb: But by the end you came to your scents-es so I didn't have to. But I do suspect some one else might have.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That's a bummer about about the drop but I bet your gonna be some pleased with how it looks after Dave's done with it.:thumb:
Dave we are gonna need pics of this show:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ouch! That sucks:eek:. Darrin...Bondo works well and I think he has some left from a trip I made down there.;):thumb:
Ya know...most rockers just bash 'em over their amps :rofl:

When we were at Larry's in his finish room and Dave was demonstrating matching colors, it had to be experienced to be believed but right before my eyes a scratch would POOF disappear before our very eyes! It was so magical the way he worked a little dab here and there until POOF! I commented and others did to as they saw it happen before their own eyes. Dave's attention to detail creates this magic. It isn't an illusion because it is gone when he is done. Vaughn, I cannot believe it won't be one of your lifetime keeper guitars when you get it back. Another example/solid proof that this is truly a family of people. Dave I hope you document this paint/build even if you don't reveal it to us until Vaughn has it back in his hot little hands!

I dunno, I think the guitar is looking pretty sharp right about now...

Variax%20Paint%20Job%2015%20-%20800.jpg

:rofl:

A bit more work with the heat gun, a couple of small spots to touch up with Bondo, and this baby will be ready for sanding, then shipping. :thumb: