Lost My Girl Today

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I had to put my dog Sasha down this morning. I adopted her as a 2 year old from a shelter over 12 years ago, and she and I have been through a lot together. In her younger years she loved being "on command" and doing whatever I told her to do....great on both voice or hand signals. Always the smart one out of all our dogs. She has not been in good health for quite some time, and when we arrived in LA a week and a half ago, she had come down with a case of pneumonia. After a week of serious antibiotic treatment, she improved a bit, then started to decline again yesterday. We made the difficult - but right - decision this morning to end her pain and suffering.

Sleep well, Boo-Boo.

Sasha%20800.jpg

Sasha%20on%20the%20Wall%20800.jpg

Sasha%20Kickin%20It.jpg

Vaughn, I'm so sorry to hear this. She was a sweet dog and so glad I got to put a face (and cold nose) to the name at BW. I know that wasn't easy, but the right thing to do.

So sorry Vaughn. I was glad to have got to meet her. She was a very sweet girl.

Take care my friend.

Always a very sad time. So sorry. I'm afraid decision time may not be too far off for me also. My Dobie, Alex, is really starting to show his age. Of all the dogs I've had, I know this is going to be the toughest for me to say goodbye to. He has been right beside me everywhere I go, well except into my shop, he doesn't like the noise. But he comes and checks on me every few minutes. He has been totally my dog.

So sorry for your loss. Hope I can be as brave.

sorry to hear this vaughn,, i am another who is looking threw clouded glasses to write a reply,, our family can be more than just humans, be it a canine or a feline.. glad i had the chance to met sasha in person.. she was reflection of you vaughn!

Sasha was a sweet dog. She was at Burning Wood and appeared to have as much fun as all the people were. Her tail was in constant motion. Her nose pushing under a hand to be petted. She gave every appearance of having a grand time. I am glad her last days held some fun. I am also aware of the furry paws that have left their mark on my heart. You cannot know love until you experience the love of a pet, especially a dog- God spelled backwards and a great example of unconditional love. Take care, my friend. In due course, your heart will again be stolen. And, as hard as the goodbye is, another welcome is not far off.

Last edited:
Ouch - that hurts. I really enjoyed meeting Sasha at Burning Wood 2013. :wave:

My wife and I had the same experience back in March, but with a 9-year-old Labrador who had a "splenic mass". :doh: Although Millie's sister Maggie has been a little lonely ever since, my wife has definitely missed her the most. :(

But to back up what Carol said ... we're picking up a 7-week-old white (?) Labrador female in the morning. I'm hoping that we're all still young enough to handle the next year (or four) :eek:.

Best Wishes to you Vaughn.

Thanks for the kindness, all. It's very appreciated. She was definitely a special friend. And I'm glad she got to experience a fun time at Brent and Sharon's as a last hurrah. Even if she was a bitch to Bucky and Logan, she did enjoy all the people. :)

Sasha's not the first four-legged companion I've outlived and she surely won't be the last, but it'll be a while before I replace her. We've lived the past year and a half in an apartment with no yard, and I really don't want to subject another dog to those conditions. I'll at least wait until I'm living somewhere with more room. I'm also looking forward to being able to take quick weekend trips without the need for a dog-sitter.

Vaughn I very sorry for your loss. Not much to say. Dog's life is much shorter then we all would like and if your like me I cry like a baby every time I lose a dear member of the family. The best part is the great memories . Now I'm tearing up about Fox a great pet in the 70's and 80's.