Just to funny Chickens !

Yep, never forget the first egg Fina found when she was a little bitty kid. She comes running to the horse barn holding up this egg shouting, "dad, dad, dad, we got our first free egg!!!" I looked at her and laughed and said, "closest I can figure, that egg probably has cost me around $400.00!" It averaged out in the end. The girls sold farm fresh eggs through their high school years for cash/gas money. That lady was funny but kind of spot on!

I've use to always have chickens, I'd love to have them again. They were very relaxing to listen to. I got to where it was really hard for me to get rid of the old ones that were not laying anymore. Last ones I had, the raccoons got in the pen while I was on vacation and killed everyone, just for sport.

Paul we had a 'possum get ours. Since Lou's accident, our henhouse is not a friendly place for a crutch. So it is on the list to remodel so she can collect eggs without going into the hen house. I think it is #676 or something on the list of to do items!

I really, really want to build a coop and get a few egg layers for around here. IT's on the project list, just not very high up.

Oh boy that made me laugh and probably more because i can relate to her story.

During my time in the Military out in the South African bush, i inherited .....yup when one intake left the camp another took over and you inherited whatever the person you were replacing had as assets in the bush.

I got a bunch of chickens. LOL

But you got to picture the scene....everyone in the camp saw these as pets. They were not for laying eggs. But each had a character and there was regular roll call each day at the hen house.

Then one day a local that had decided to pack up from the area and leave the bush gave us a bunch of Indian Game chickens. These were skinny things with long long necks i think they were more suited to cock fighting. We chopped off the heads and hung them on the washline to drain but there was one that was just too skinny to bother with. So we put him in the chicken coop.

Well somehow our chickens must have known about the cultural phenomenon of "40 days" in our military. The 40 days being a derivative of the Elvis song " Gonna give you 40 days to get back". So when it was near my 40 days party time they laid eggs and sat on them and they hatched on 40 days. The camp went wild to see the offspring.
We were a very tiny tight knit unit only 30 or so special corp of signalers doing electronic warfare so no other military personnel were allowed in our confines.

Anyhow the sight for saw eyes in this story was when "skraaly" (skinny in english) the name given to the Indian game chicken that was spared execution, was summarily dispatched with a clever by the cook who saw him/her peck at one of the new born yellow chicks.

I was sitting in one of our "ape" cages, about 50ft off the ground fixing an antenna and the cook came running out of the make shift kitchen flew into the chicken pen and grabbed "skraaly" and chopped his head off before you could say "Bobs your uncle".

Let that be a lesson to anyone wanting to touch those chickens i thought. LOL I often think of this incident and those chickens when i hear a chicken story. :rofl: You had to be there to see the site.

BTW our cook was not the brightest guy, but i liked his sense of justice.