Getting back on my feet

Tom Baugues

Hello all, I've been pretty quite on here lately. After a week of vacation I came home to some severe back pain. To make a long story short I had an issue with my sciatic nerve down my left leg which left me unable to walk. It was getting pretty scary for a while but after several visits to doctors and drugs, just today I am able to stand on my own two feet again. Not walking very far yet but the relief I feel knowing that this is getting better is enough to make me feel that I'm on the road to recovery. This whole ordeal has really made me think about those that have had life changing accidents happen to them and what they have to go through. For me, I'm lucky that I should get back to normal in another week or so but I have sat here this week thinking about those that don't. With this being the 4th of July I think about those that have given life and limb so that the rest of us can live in a free country. I salute those that are brave enough to go forth and face the enemy so that we can live in a country and have all the luxury that we have. I've tried reading threads this week to keep up with things going on here within the family. I feel fortunate to be a small part of it here and enjoy reading about everyone's projects.
Hope everyone has a great 4th of July.

another tip for you tom, if they say it was caused from a ruptured disc dont push it at all and do all the PT you can get.. sometimes a chiropractor will help but they can also make things worse..and drugs sometimes kill the pain which is your body telling you something is wrong and needs you to stop doing what caused it.. if you numb the paint and keep hitting the thumb with a hammer after while it will be mush... i know, been there done that as some others here..

Glad to see you're getting better Tom. I have some intimate experience with back pain, so I can empathize. Follow the doc's orders and heal quickly and fully. :thumb:

For me, it is my right sciatic. And I know the cause. I spent 3 months after the car wreck in '01 unable to even walk. You can't imagine the fear..... Damage cannot be reversed but careful chiropractic, rest, and a few OTC's help after a week or two. Does put me down for the count though. Amazing how many kindred spirits here!

Glad you're doing better. I had an issue with that about 10 years ago and it was so painful. Didn't hurt standing...didn't hurt sitting...but man the trip from one to the other was...well let's say I've never cursed so much in my life :dunno:

I was kind of the opposite. Sitting in a chair was just ok. Standing was nearly impossible due to the pain in all the muscles in my leg. Sleeping was out of the question as the muscle spasms would not allow for it. However I did get some rest last night.

I was kind of the opposite. Sitting in a chair was just ok. Standing was nearly impossible due to the pain in all the muscles in my leg. Sleeping was out of the question as the muscle spasms would not allow for it. However I did get some rest last night.

BTDT! Sounds exactly like the bout of it I had several years ago. Took well over six months to fully recover - and I sure don't look forward to a repeat! Monthly chiropractic visits as a precaution...

I know what you are going through Tom. I have the same constant pain although it's not sciatica. It's stenosis and spondotheiliosus (sp) it involves cracked and ruptured disks. I just went through my second round of steroid injections up through the base of the spine yesterday. Stay away from Chiropractors they will make it worse. PT will help.

wont give you advice, Ive had 2 laminectomys/diskectomys.

I learned one important thing about my back and the disks. Whatever you do during the day, the back will repay you that night.

Take this as a warning. Your back is telling you you are doing something wrong. Lifting wrong, straining, be careful.

give it proper time to heal. do not rush to get back into the swing of things, let the back heal good.