The Circle of Life

Kerry Burton

As I mentioned elsewhere yesterday, our 9-year-old Labrador "Maggie" lost her litter-mate sister "Millie" back in March. (We had her put down after she stopped eating and the vet found a probably-inoperable "splenic mass/tumor". :doh:)

I suppose that Maggie missed her sister to a degree, but it's actually been hardest on my wife. Maggie is a bit of a loner, while Millie was my wife's little shadow. My wife kept bringing up the idea of getting Maggie a "little sister", but it wasn't until last week that she got serious and started combing the Internet.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Well, we brought the new pup home this morning. She was one of the last of her litter to be chosen, and the first to "leave the nest". She turned 7 weeks yesterday.

SX150_0784_PuppyFirstPic.jpg

We played with her in the front yard for about an hour before bringing her in the house. That gave Maggie a chance to meet her -- and to do her best to stay as far away as possible!

SX150_0788_PuppyInGrass.jpg

SX150_0789_PuppyByBench.jpg

Maggie didn't seem to like the "visitor" much. But the puppy stole a chance to get close while Maggie was upside-down, getting scratched.

SX150_0790_PuppyWithUpsideDownMaggie.jpg

When we finally brought the puppy inside, we took her right to her bed. It wasn't long before she was "sacked" ... and she's still there nearly 2 hours later.

SX150_0791_Puppy_FirstNap.jpg

PS - We haven't picked a name for the little girl yet. We're waiting a bit to see what she suggests. :rolleyes:

looks like a female version of charlie:) a while back:) we have been asked if we wanted a pup the other day and the better half denied it.. but i think a pair of them would keep each other occupied better after seeing logan and bucky play together.. have fun with your new daughter kerry:)

Thanks Larry!

Oh, and lest anyone get the wrong idea ... that first pic was taken at the rural property where the puppy was raised (so far). We live in a regular suburban neighborhood with a run-of-the-mill front yard. :(

Garry, you have my sympathy and empathy. Better to end their suffering a day too early than a day too late, in my opinion.

Sent from my Tricorder using the Transporter Room and my thumbs.

Well, we settled on a name for the pup. We'll call her "Polly" ... as in
  • Pollyanna
  • Polly Purebred
  • Polliwog
  • Polyester
  • Polygon
  • Polyglot
  • Polymer
  • Polyunsaturated
  • PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
  • Polly Wolly Doodle All The Day
  • (you get the idea)
It's important to have lots of alternate names for your animal ... don't you think?

Oh - let's not forget Polly Walker:
SX150_0792_PollyOnTheLeash.jpg

Great name kerry, and look at her. So cute! Makes me want to get another puppy, just in time for Sharons Birthday! :eek::chair::rofl:

Hey...I thought you were getting me a handgun :dunno: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kerry - Greate name...of course you need multiple so you can pick appropriately as to the level of madness you are at them, for instance:

Starbuck
STarBuck
STARBUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aw, Bucky hasn't run off across the road for several days now....

Kerry, you forgot Pollywannacracker. :D

"Sasha" was just a formality. Her real names were Scooter, Goober, Boo-Boo, Scoots, Goobs, Boo, Sash, Punkin Head, Goober Pie, Scooter Pod, Bunny, Sweetie, and Lulu. ;)