looking for a power washer

allen levine

I managed to finish spraying off that green muck off my vinyl siding today, but the cheap electric power washer Ive owned for 18 years kept shutting off. It was leaking pretty bad from the bottom, not the hose connection, and when I finally went to unplug it, it popped in my hand and I got a nice shock. That's that. Its going into trash, wont even try to fix it.

Im looking for a gas powered power washer, don't need some industrial powered one.

Just to wash off blacktop once or twice a year, and to wash down vinyl siding.

any suggestions? (I know nothing about power washers, other than point and spray)

Not the best, but I've had a Campbell-Hausfield one for several years, and it's been reliable. 2200psi@ 2.25gpm, with a 5.5hp Honda engine on it. Used it last week for the first time this year, and it started on the second pull. Hadn't run since about last August, so I was very happy to see it start so easily. Sam's Club has several models of them fairly cheap. The 2600psi Simpson looks good.

Karcher here with a small Honda engine. I use it 2-3 times per year and it always starts on the first pull (assuming I remember to flip the switch to on... :rolleyes:).

its mind boggling everyplace sells them, every online shop sells them, and there are so many brands.

I figure labor day weekend might be the time to get one at a decent price. sales are usually decent.

I have a Troy-Bilt 2600psi, 2.3gpm unit with a Honda engine. It came with four nozzles for different applications. It works great on my concrete driveway as well as the aluminum siding and brick on the house.

That being said, the best way I've found to clean the vinyl siding on the house and Hardee siding on my shop is a product called JO Max. It's a mildewcide, among other things. You mix a little with a bleach/water mixture and spray it on the area to be treated. I spray it on the siding with a garden sprayer. In minutes, I can see mildew and other yuck melting away. Then, a quick hit with the power washer and the job is done.

Bill do you think the JOMax would work for the black streaks on a trailer with aluminum siding? I tried some of the black streak stuff they sell at the RV stores but its a waste of time.

Sorry for the hijack Allen.

I've got a honda I bought 5 years ago from HD, still starts on the first pull. I use the "pump saver" in it every winter to blow out the water and fill it with polyglycol. It has the multi tip head, that you press, spin to the head you need and snap it back down, very handy.

Bill do you think the JOMax would work for the black streaks on a trailer with aluminum siding? I tried some of the black streak stuff they sell at the RV stores but its a waste of time.

My dad mixes Mr. Clean and dawn dish soap with water. It always removes the black streaks/mildew, as well as any oxidation from the surface of the paint.

Was about 1 cup mr clean to 1/4 cup dawn in 1 to 2 gallon of water. He uses a car scrub brush to scrub down the surface and then just rinse.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I guess it depends on what the black streaks are, Rob. If it's caused by mold, mildew or the like, I'm sure the JO Max/bleach/water mix would help. If it's road tar, maybe not.