Lessons from BW 2013

OK. The deed is done. Smoker [and a few other things] has been ordered. Now what is this seasoning you speak of? And explain more about the aluminum pan, please. I have another pot luck this coming Saturday. We shall see what we shall see then.

Glad ya didn't get the red one. I took a look at one on the floor at the orange borg and was not the least bit impressed with it..The one you got has some great reviews. The only negative comment I saw was the the temp control took some getting used to.

You asked about seasoning the smoker,the following is from the manual on your unit.
"PRESEASON INSTRUCTIONSPreseason smoker prior to first use. Make sure water bowl is in place with NO WATER. Set
control panel to MED and run unit for 3 hours. Shut down and allow to cool. Some smoke may
appear during this time, this is normal.
During last 45 minutes, add 1 cup of wood chips in wood chip bowl to complete preseasoning."

Seems easy enough.

Brent is helping me with a PID so that negates the temperature control issue. Darren mentioned something about vegetable oil in the seasoning process, so I'm hoping he will chime in. What the manual says makes sense to get rid of the new paint fumes. Partial to mesquite chips so will try those first, but I am interested in what other folks like and why. Years ago we slow roasted butt roasts and served shredded beef sandwiches in an A&W drive-in I managed. Never got past lunch with them. They were the first things sold out and they went for a premium price. Wanna duplicate that if I can. They were most yummy! In the early '60's they sold for $4. Big money for a sandwich in those days. Didn't matter. They evaporated each day, but the oven was only so big so production was limited.

And there is a batch of smoked shrimp boats in the freezer waiting. I have some more vacation coming in a couple of weeks, so I hope to spend some of that time field testing the new smoker. Then the new trick will be to not grow into the Goodyear blimp or off myself with a cardiac arrest. :doh:

No expert here...on our 'charcoal' smoker/grill, I used veggie oil all over the inside after first washing off any remnants from the manufacturing process. It helps fight off rust and sets a base for the smoke to adhere to{IMO :dunno:}. Just a simple wipe down with the oil is all that's needed, don't need to try & flood the surface{s}. Then a dry 'empty' run to 'set' the 'seasoning'.

Add another to the mesquite fav list. We're really enjoying the rotisserie aspect with our present day smoking. As to other types of wood, Cherry is a popular choice with a sweet mild flavor that goes well with just about everything we've tried. Apple and Hickory are the only others we've experimented with. Hickory is too strong of a flavor for my Mrs so we usually avoid it, Apple is great with pork, but does darken the skin on chicken quite a bit. Now thanks to Brent sharing his ABT's secrets, looks as though we're going to add to our repertoire, and those shredded beef sandwiches are going to get a spin or two also :thumb:

No expert here...on our 'charcoal' smoker/grill, I used veggie oil all over the inside after first washing off any remnants from the manufacturing process. It helps fight off rust and sets a base for the smoke to adhere to{IMO :dunno:}. Just a simple wipe down with the oil is all that's needed, don't need to try & flood the surface{s}. Then a dry 'empty' run to 'set' the 'seasoning'.

Add another to the mesquite fav list. We're really enjoying the rotisserie aspect with our present day smoking. As to other types of wood, Cherry is a popular choice with a sweet mild flavor that goes well with just about everything we've tried. Apple and Hickory are the only others we've experimented with. Hickory is too strong of a flavor for my Mrs so we usually avoid it, Apple is great with pork, but does darken the skin on chicken quite a bit. Now thanks to Brent sharing his ABT's secrets, looks as though we're going to add to our repertoire, and those shredded beef sandwiches are going to get a spin or two also :thumb:

Hey Ken try Pecan it is a milder smoke I to dont like Hickory as like you said its just too strong and over powers easily but I love the Pecan

Masterbuilt 20070210 30-Inch Electric Analog Smoker

Since that's the one I've got, I'd have to say you made a good choice!

Brent is helping me with a PID so that negates the temperature control issue.
Parts are arriving, I should be able to get put together here this week some time.

Years ago we slow roasted butt roasts and served shredded beef sandwiches in an A&W drive-in I managed. Never got past lunch with them. They were the first things sold out and they went for a premium price. Wanna duplicate that if I can. They were most yummy! In the early '60's they sold for $4. Big money for a sandwich in those days. Didn't matter. They evaporated each day, but the oven was only so big so production was limited.

We just smoked a pork butt yesterday. Smoked for about 3 hours at 225, then wrapped in foil for another 5. Was absolutely fall apart tender. Almost shredded itself. Mixed with a little bbq sauce and made some shredded pork sandwiches with a little cole slaw on top. Really good stuff...