WIA October 2013

Darren, for some strange reason ALL venues that a are in Covington Ky. are listed as being in Cincy, They claim us over here! Just as our airport which is in Hebron Ky is listed as the greater Cincinnati airport :doh:
It is probably the Covington Convention Center. FYI
Rob, it 's about fifteen minutes away but I don't know if I will attend, I am having some back problems, and I can't walk very far or stand for any length of time right now.

Last edited:
Darren, for some strange reason ALL venues that a are in Covington Ky. are listed as being in Cincy

Ah! Ok, Thanks Charles! Kansas City has the same problem, there is Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri. Most of Kansas City is on the Missouri side, but for some reason, most folks think it's in Kansas. :dunno: ;)

BTDT - retired. If you follow Popular Woodworking magazine and tend to be a groupie for some of the self-proclaimed woodworking greats (just read the link), then go for it. That may sound pretty blunt, but I really have been there and done that sponsored by a magazine. Not that one. These shows are geared to the novice and slanted to the advertisers. Nothing wrong with that, unless you are expecting unbiased presentations. There will be a lot of 'what' to do, a little 'how' to do, and darn near NO 'why.' The 'why' we do things a certain way comes with experience. Novices don't have any of that so it is not considered very important. This is one area where forums like this one excel. Folks with experience chime in and explain why things work well and why they don't. Tool recommendations come as a result of using them, not as a result of trying to sell them. Often many different ways to get the same results are offered, so one can choose a process depending on their experience, tooling, and chutzpah. So if you like, go for it, but like Charles, I won't be there and not because I live further away. They do not have anything to offer me any longer except to try to sell me new tools.

You got that right Carol, the last on that I went to was probably ten years ago and it was really a disappointment, they are there to sell tools mainly. The seminars were not very informative for me at least.

not familiar with this one, but if carols says its not what its cracked up to be i wouldnt go either . now the one in new york i think with roy underhill and others that ken werners has gone to is a good one rob!!

after seeing the list of folks that are there i would be tempted to go, rob. i hadnt went to the link was going on others advice with more experience than me. but with roy underhill and charles swhartz and ron hock on the list its much better than what i have seen in the past..

Last edited:
I would go if I was closer. Popular Woodworking has been sponsoring these get together since 2008. When they started in 2008 there was not a gathering like it with such an emphasis on woodworking with hand tools. I understand they are introducing some power tools into the mix, but it is a mainly a hand tool event. Very few lightweights in this list of speakers. Some of these people have taught classes at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking.

Last year I heard the program was not as good, because they tried to hold two events (West & East Coast) in the same year which diluted the results. I think they will be trying hard to recapture the magic of the earlier events. If you are close by, it might be worth the drive and the minor expense.