Options for Tool Handle?

Mike Turner

I have a piece of 1" steel 24" long that already had a hole drilled in both ends....(It is round stock). I drilled the 2 holes , one to 5/16" and the other to 3/8" to accept some monster cutters and others I have. I then put 2 set screws on both ends to secure the cutters. I did this not knowing exactly if I was just going to use one end or some how make it where I can change the handle from one to the other and use the other end.... It is 1" so it heavy but would be a heavy duty hollower and it is free so if I dont like it ..no loss..

Anyhow how could do the handle to make it changeable from end to end??? I dont have access to a metal lathe and want to go as cheap as I can.

Or if I just make a regular handle on one end with a ferrule on the end of the wooden handle what could I use? I have some 2" maple that might could be used for the handle but Im sure I would lose at least 1/2" to get it round to accept a ferrule type fitting. It would have to be something else...No copper ferrule that large....Any ideas????

Mike, I made a handle once using an old broken baseball bat that I found at a garage sale. Cut to length and drilled to accept the shaft. The bat was thick enough and made from hard maple. I think I paid about .50 for the bat. Check around.

Ain't purty but I have heard of people using PVC. I would use the heavy wall stuff and then slide a fitting over the end where I was going to put set screws. Trim off the fitting just leaving the collar or if you use an endcap it might make a decent looking ferrule. I have cored PVC with wood for strength and used it for some pretty heavy duty work.

I do like the old baseball bat idea better. Might keep an eye out for community and church sales where a lot of people bring stuff to one place. I bought a bunch of glass vases and such at a church sale just to have shapes to look at when turning. The lady was going to stiff me fifty cents each for the glassware but seeing how it was for a good cause I managed to talk her down to a dollar each. Sometimes you just have to get in there and bargain!

Hu

I enjoy making my own things whenever I can.
For turning tool handles I just use whatever wood I have on hand at the time that will work. e.g. Osage Orange, hickory, etc.
I drill the end large enough to accept the shaft. Even a square shaft shoved into a round hole works. I do nothing to secure it since there are no real forces trying to pull it out.
If the tool is for another use I'll grind off the sharp corners of the shaft and grind or file a series of notches around it to accept glue. Then I'll drive it into the handle using a tough glue (epoxy, Gorilla, etc.) to secure.
This all fits in with my adherence to doing things the KISS way. In fact, I have two knives I made when I was about 8 years old using the same principal. The blades are secured into antler handles with hot hide glue. That was about 66 years ago and you still couldn't get those blades out with an act of congress.