Christmas in July~Sort of

Karl Laustrup

Well I just got a couple of new tools set up the other day. They are "NEW" only in that they came out of the sealed boxes that they came in.

My "NEW" Delta Hollow Chisel Mortiser that I actually purchased back in late 2004 IIRC.
IMG_2486.jpg
I didn't really have a place to set it up at that time so it stayed in the box and was relegated to a corner of the building where my John Deere is kept, until last weekend.

I also had this C-Man slow speed 8" grinder that I purchased around the same time. I think it was on sale for a really good price that I couldn't resist. Same story with it, just didn't really know where to mount it so it sat with the mortiser.
IMG_2487.jpg

I also mounted an old 6" grinder that I use to sharpen my mower blades. This is how they all look mounted on my bench.
IMG_2488.jpgIMG_2489.jpg

Now to get some cooler weather so I can work in the shop again. I've got a couple more projects that I want to complete before I try out my hollow chisel mortiser and new grinder.

Last edited:
Always a thrill to set up new tools. I have that same grinder as your old on in my garage. I also use it to sharpen lawn mower blades. It has been around a long time, use to be my Father's.

I can see it now - scheduling "Christmases" as a way to organize my shop and get rewards as I go along!

Let's see ... for "Christmas in August" I can unpack that Freud router that I ordered a few years ago. But that means I'll need to clear some room for a router table, which means re-thinking the placement of tool X and cabinet Y.

For "Christmas in September" I can unpack the rolling clamp stand that I ordered at about the same time. But that will mean even more consolidation to free up additional floor space.

I can hardly wait for the December version of Christmas .. so I can stock up for another string of "Christmases" next year! :thumb:

Congrats, Karl. At least with a mortiser and a grinder, they are still relevant and usable 10 years after you bought them. Imagine doing than with a computer or a cell phone. :D

And Kerry, I like the way you think. :thumb:

I can see it now - scheduling "Christmases" as a way to organize my shop and get rewards as I go along!

Let's see ... for "Christmas in August" I can unpack that Freud router that I ordered a few years ago. But that means I'll need to clear some room for a router table, which means re-thinking the placement of tool X and cabinet Y.

For "Christmas in September" I can unpack the rolling clamp stand that I ordered at about the same time. But that will mean even more consolidation to free up additional floor space.

I can hardly wait for the December version of Christmas .. so I can stock up for another string of "Christmases" next year! :thumb:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::D

Congrats, Karl. At least with a mortiser and a grinder, they are still relevant and usable 10 years after you bought them. Imagine doing than with a computer or a cell phone. :D

And Kerry, I like the way you think. :thumb:

Got that right Vaughn. Remember the old "Brick Phones"? That's about 20 years though. Wonder if it would be worth anything as an antique, other than a paper weight. :rolleyes:

The ones I remember is the type in the second one you listed [RARE-VINTAGE]. Never had one but was impressed with those who did, even though they could only use them in the city. Vegas at the time.

I kinda think we jumped the track somewhere along here.

However:

I have a nice black desk telephone with a rotary dial. It was extracted from a bookie joint. The bookie went to the joint.

I have a nice, very good condition, Sear's grinder also. I don't know the date. However, it was quite old when the family moved in 1941.

With my luck they are both worth about 10 cents.

Karl, I am glad that you are finally getting your toys out to play with. They are a doggone good set of tools to have out of the boxes and onto a bench where they are handy.

Enjoy,
JimB

I have a better plan pack up all those tools that you haven't gotten around to unboxing and send them to me and I'll have Christmas in August.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a better plan pack up all those tools that you haven't gotten around to unboxing and send them to me and I'll have Christmas in August.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hmmmm ... tempting.

HA!
cookoo.gif