Spalted maple question

Thanks, guys. Once I get it, I'll see how soft it is. Is there a good way to determine how soft it would have to be to need the treatment? (For example, if it yields to your thumbnail.)

I would turn a piece and see how much tear-out shows up...if it turns and sands well, you're off the hook!

I agree with Jim. Try a piece first.

I've used thin CA glue on smaller pieces to harden it up as I went if the rot wasn't really bad.

And I agree with John. Of the spalted maple I've turned, I don't think any of it was punky enough to warrant stabilization. Spalted hackberry, on the other hand, is a different story for me. Punkier than a busload of gangbangers. :D

A fried of mine is going to give me a slab of spalted maple. Do you have to stabilize it before you turn it? I was thinking of getting some pen blanks out of it.
Like others have said ... depends.

Turn a piece and try it. If it tears/falls off easily you'll need to do some stabilizing.

For quick use I use thin CA as I turn.

When I don't want to use my stabilizing fluid on one or two pieces I will get 30 Minute Epoxy when its on sale from HF and squeeze the tubes in a plastic cup ... because I'm inherently frugal (cheap) I'll add 91% Isopropyl to the epoxy and keep stirring until it's the consistency of water and then paint it on the pen blanks with a foam brush.

It will drink it up and after drying it really helps when turning with using CA just on the really rotten parts.