Engraving Wood

Al Launier

Seems like engraving wood on hobby type projects (names, words, etc.) might be fun to do & it would add a nice personal touch to finish off a project. I'm thinking of entry-mid level application which uses a router bit, or similar, rather than a Dremel engraving tool. I can envision free-hand plunge routing, but the "wobbly lines/curves" would be something I'd like to avoid. This probably means using templates, but hopefully something that is reasonable in cost, is a manual operation, and can engrave random shapes. Has anyone on this forum used this type of tool & have recommendations on low-mid level equipment.

Last edited:
"Seems like engraving wood on hobby type projects (names, words, etc.) might be fun to do & it would add a nice personal touch"

It would take most of the fun out of it but it would still add a personal touch. ------ I have a laser engraver an do just the kinda thing you are talking about.

Be glad to do a few samples for you.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking to expand my potential winter woodworking skills, so I'd rather not send out any work that relates to a pastime activity, especially during the long winter months.

If this looks weird it is because I have had to sign in 3 times today...even if I am signed in and it shows me as signed in. I typed some stuff out and copied it into Word. When I finally managed to sign in again, everything I had written along with the error message were gone. The following is what I copied to Word.

That is an interesting concept Al. I am looking forward to your replies.

Personally, at my skill level, I cannot envision doing router engraving fine enough to sign the bottom of a bowl using, or not using a template---Not even with my Bosch Colt let alone a full size router. I have never tried that free hand because I figured wood grain could lead the router too far astray in something that small.

How about the Dremel plunge router?

Enjoy,
JimB

[h=3]The following errors occurred with your submission[/h]
  1. "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again."

The software will not take this. It tells me to refresh (how?), sign in and try again. This is the third time it has forced me to sign in---EVEN THOUGH it shows me currently signed in.

I will copy the first part, just in case, sign in again and see if I can send it.

How in the heck can I sign in if I am already signed in?

Enjoy,
JimB

Jim, Double check to make sure you don't have 'cookies' blocked for FWW with some sort of security program, or that you are not trying to access the site 'incognito' (A chrome thing).

We've had some other users mention similar issues, and it usually boils down to either blocking cookies, or that your browser has been hijacked.

Jim, the smaller Dremel router might be a good option. I was thinking id script, etc. probably 1/4" - 1" in size., plus I doubt if a freehand effort would produce quality work. So, without a template to cotrol the "flow" & overcome the grain effect, it's probably not a good venture.

If it is just adding a signature or a personal touch I would go for hand engraving. It is not that difficult, and there is no need of electric tools or whatsoever. A veiner or "V" shaped thin gouge is all you need, one can make really cool things with that only tool.
For more complext or detailed motives I would have a look at manuals, tools and so forth for wood engraved printing plates. I believe that all the technical info can be found there, and if you have enough skill you can make really interesting things. You can also find which wood type is the best for what type of engraving. Detailed engraving need a compact and dense grain wood, other less detailed may accept other wood types.
No matter if you want to just engrave any scene or motive without the aim of wanting to print it ou t the technique is the same. Hope this helps

Another option is burning. Either a woodburner or a brand. You can use a soldering iron for a wood burner and brands aren't all that hard to make (brass stock carves easier and heats faster than iron :D)

Thanks Ryan - good idea! I was wondering about wood burning as an alternative to engraving the wood. And, I do have some small soldering irons that I could try to see where that takes me. Thanks for the suggestion, especially trying the soldering iron (I have some copper bits for it - should run hot!)