Mmm Peaches!

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Looks like the peaches are in full swing here, loml came back from the farmers market with a 20lb box! :woot:

So its time for some Peach Salsa.

50% peaches
50% vine ripe tomatoes (roma or other meaty ones are best, but saladinies or whatever you have will work.. to juicy you might want to de-seed/juice a bit)
Chop and mix
Add chopped Onions to taste
Add peppers jalapeno, red chili, green chili, pasilla bajio (a garden favorite they taste just a smidge chocolaty), etc.. to taste
I like a bit of dried pepper as well, chili powder (mostly dried poblano) works well
A squeeze or three of lime or lacking that a spritz of vinegar.

Mix thoroughly, refrigerate 4-12 hours or 20 minutes if you can't wait that long.
Enjoy with some corn chips.

You can also make fresh corn chips - take some tortillas, chop into corn chip sized pieces, heat some oil (~3 inches works well) in a dutch oven until a scrap of tortilla tossed in it bubbles vigorously. Fry in smallish batches to not overwhelm the oil and push down into the oil with a slotted spoon. Drain in a basket and salt lightly.

Oh man, that sounds good. We are having issues here getting any good produce because of the heat.

I would give that a try in a second.

Salsa's tasty but for Peaches I cast my vote for warm Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream! :thumb::headbang:

Boy I have a hard time arguing with that! Although I'd personally be torn between cobbler and crisp.. Cobbler soaks up the juice better but Crisp has that tasty tasty crispy bits with pecans! I foresee a decision in my future here.. Crisp or Cobbler.. Crisp or Cobbler..

Actually the best use of peaches is to take them to Brenham, Texas and let the Blue Bell Ice Cream plant turned them in Homemade Vanilla Icecream with peach chunks .... as near to heaven as I will probably ever get.

Too bad Blue Bell is considered an imported delicacy in Tennessee and sells for about $6.98 per carton.... but at least it's a full 1/2 gallon.

We bought half dozen peaches at Wal-Mart last week and they were the worst.... totally mealy and tasteless.

Actually the best use of peaches is to take them to Brenham, Texas and let the Blue Bell Ice Cream plant turned them in Homemade Vanilla Icecream with peach chunks .... as near to heaven as I will probably ever get.

We bought half dozen peaches at Wal-Mart last week and they were the worst.... totally mealy and tasteless.

I remember when we lived in Maui and they had Peaches at the Costco .. most disappointing (food) experience of my life. They had free samples and everyone was talking about how fabulous the peaches were so we went over to try some.. They crunched.. like an apple... Peaches ain't supposed to do that. No discernible flavor either. The mangos from my friends tree otoh.. mmm mmm so good.

You should make ice cream at home for that price!

Actually I take that back - heavy cream is $6/qt around here - ouch! Maybe $7 per 1/2 gallon ain't so bad.. unless its more than 1/2 air!

When you can get them that taste like peaches, one of my favorite deserts is sliced peaches in heavy cream with a little sugar sprinkled over ... let it sit in the fridge over night to let the cream take on the peach flavor... yummmmmmmmmmm

Mangos were mentioned in earlier thread... another favorite is a mango & peach smoothie... kind of a tradition on Sunday morning after we've done the Saturday market... there's a bakery that brings sweet rolls with cream cheese and we always get two for breakfast on Sunday along with the peach & mango smoothie.

When you can get them that taste like peaches, one of my favorite deserts is sliced peaches in heavy cream with a little sugar sprinkled over ... let it sit in the fridge over night to let the cream take on the peach flavor... yummmmmmmmmmm

Mangos were mentioned in earlier thread... another favorite is a mango & peach smoothie... kind of a tradition on Sunday morning after we've done the Saturday market... there's a bakery that brings sweet rolls with cream cheese and we always get two for breakfast on Sunday along with the peach & mango smoothie.

I go straight to the grower to buy my peach's Chuck and if you want the ripest one buy the seconds but be read to put them up RIGHT AWAY as they are almost to ripe but MAN what flavor. Just for the record Peaches picked green do not ripen they just get soft and Pithy.