Wood choice question

Ed Nelson

I need some lumber suggestions for the library unit I am bidding on. Originally it was supposed to be all cherry, but they are balking at the costs. Since I don't really want to cut back on the labor, I want to offer some material choices. Their kitchen is that cordovan cherry look and they are wanting to have a similar look for the library. What would you guys use that could be stained or dyed, and how would you finish it?

Thanks for the help!

Ed

Ed, how about birch? Maybe birch ply? I think with proper staining, you could get a decent fake cheery look. I've not heard of "cordovan cherry" but I'm assuming it to be pretty dark, almost mahogany-like color. I'm thinking the birch grain could be pretty close. You might need to seal it with snading sealer or something prior to finishing it but it shouldn't bee too bad.

Maybe you could convince them to do a lot of the finish work to save money.

That can be a tough one Ed. I'd probably go African mahogany with red/brown stain or dye myself, but then I like to keep cherry natural. That job looks big enough to save some on the wood, but mine are usually so small that I'm conditioned to thinking it doesn't matter much compared to the labor.

Good luck with it,
John

Alder is a cherry replacement, look a like wood.

I'm still trying to find cabinet pics of a job I did, and send to Al Navas:huh:

Thanks guys. I'll have to check availability of sheet goods. There's a sawyer near by that I can probably get the lumber from. I'll have to do some experimenting with the finishes.

Hi Ed, :wave:
In agreement with Steve, Alder is the cherry lookalike and as Charlie says I too think going with maple plywood will do you right, just where you want to be. Good luck and keep posting.:D
Shaz

As some others have said, I have come quite close to the look of cherry using good maple plywood. But, watch out for the crap maple plywood stocked in some of the big box stores.

Last edited:
Ed

Just a question, isn't it going to cost you more in time to do a decent staining job? If you are going to "eat" the cost by billing out the materials at the lower rate and maintaining your labor costs on the estimate without the staining, wouldn't you be better off to find a way to split the difference in cost with them and still use cherry?

Jay

Jay makes a good point. If you add to that your time to work out a finishing schedule to make the chosen wood look like cherry, I would imagine you'd lose any cost benefit of using a less expensive wood.

You guys are bringing up some very good points. I'll have to think this through! Thanks for pointing out the concerns. What are your thoughts about dyes? Am I correct in understanding I can achieve a more uniform finish with dye than stain?

I once did an inside corner desk with drawers and doors with solid cherry and cherry plywood, total linear footage on the two walls was about 14'. It was very functional and well done if I may say so my self. They stained it "cherry" then completely screwed up the finish with a bad poly urethane job. No photo
The person that came up with "cherry" stain in the first place was a real idiot. Cherry is not cordovan, I had wing tips in the 60's that were cordovan.
I also did an entertainment center once in cherry plywood, cherry veneer, and solid stock which the client wanted. They then proceeded to stain it dark and then have the finisher coat it heavily with dark brown wax. Not too bad but not my choice.Cherry.jpg
My Point...If they clear coat it, use cherry, if promised, if it is to be stained use domestic maple plywood and poplar or alder for the banding and the doors. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!:thumb:
Shaz

Shaz, I'm in agreement and would prefer to go with a natural finish and just let it darken with time. The finish that they sell as cherry is NOT one of my favorites. I will be meeting with the couple tomorrow evening to discuss some options. Your suggestions are always appreciated!

What are your thoughts about dyes? Am I correct in understanding I can achieve a more uniform finish with dye than stain?

Hey Ed,
Yes.
The pigments in stains penetrate into the grains, making the grainy parts darker than the plain parts. Dyes stay on the top surface and make a more uniform finish.

I've had some luck applying minwax cherrywood gel stain to poplar. Comes out looking like cherry.