Wavy dresser

Guy Bratt

Hi it's been a while. I don't know if I'll get to this, but I was wondering how one would build a wavy dresser? I haven't found any plans as yet. Here is an example...
wavy dresser.jpg

I think 1/4" ply is in order for the sides. ??
Any thought?

Probably in order to ease the whole job the drawer sides are not wavy inside, and they are only the fronts that match the sides of the frame. Caro'l suggestion is right, and you would need to make some jigs and shape molds to achieve such curvatures.
A rather time consuming and difficult project IMHO as no one single piece is equal to other, but that's the price one has to pay if you want to step out of the treaded way... The whole picture has very clear reminiscences of Alice in wonderland tale.

This example may give you some ideas...

Chen3263.JPG

The aprons were two layers of 3/8 inch bending ply plus one layer of veneer over a form of about 1/4 of the diameter (4 runs in the vacuum press)

The base was really a 12 inch square plywood box. The curves on the outside were decorative (think the sides of the curvy chest of drawers, covering structural sides). They were two layers of 1/8 inch bending ply plus the veneer. The miters were cut on the bandsaw with the table at 45 degrees. A rail attached to temporary forms ran in the miter slot. Many little blocks were glued in the back side of the miter joint. The sides are firm but certainly not structural.

The feet were also two layers of 1/8 inch bending plywood, but with the forms left in permanently, in case someone rested their foot on the table feet. The feet were bolted through the decorative bulge and into the central column.

By the time you have two layers of bending ply glued together with a non-creeping glue, the shape is firm. Three layers and it is rock solid.

See http://www.plesums.com/wood/livingroom/diningtable.html for more details on that table.

Probably in order to ease the whole job the drawer sides are not wavy inside, and they are only the fronts that match the sides of the frame. Caro'l suggestion is right, and you would need to make some jigs and shape molds to achieve such curvatures.
A rather time consuming and difficult project IMHO as no one single piece is equal to other, but that's the price one has to pay if you want to step out of the treaded way... The whole picture has very clear reminiscences of Alice in wonderland tale.

Toni,

I am with you on the Alice In Wonderland. That was my first thought.

Isn't Alice a pretty, young lady!!!

I enjoyed the chest and I enjoyed Alice.

JimB

Given the title of this thread, I'm a little surprised that Vaughan hasn't posted a photo of either:
  • Someone in an evening gown (or top hat and tails) waving at the camera, or
  • Someone dressed in "wavy" clothes, whatever those might look like.
Oops ... sorry for the hijack. :doh:

Given the title of this thread, I'm a little surprised that Vaughan hasn't posted a photo of either:
  • Someone in an evening gown (or top hat and tails) waving at the camera, or
  • Someone dressed in "wavy" clothes, whatever those might look like.
Oops ... sorry for the hijack. :doh:

What? Is your Google broken or something? :rofl: I'm obviously not the only one here with a twisted sense of humor. :D

Is your Google broken or something?

Funny you should ask; the Google repairman just left. We're up again! Let's see ... wavy dressers ....

Cheesy example:
medium_LincolnWave.jpg

Classy example:
images

I can't wait to see what Guy comes up with ... I'm sure it will beat the "twisted humor" attempts all to pieces.

Best of Luck, Guy! :thumb: