Just picked this up

Al Launier

Saw this on CL http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3934983893.html located close by in a neighboring town. Great guy to talk to (active pilot for AA) and to do business with. He let me have it for $175 including a 48 pack of pin-less blades! :thumb: lthough a 2003 model, it is in excellent condition, only flaw was some minor rust spots on the table that will be super easy to sand out. Then a touch of Johnson's Paste & it's good to go. Love it when a deal comes together. :thumb:

I'm actually closing in on completing my shop upgrade. As it stands now, the scroll saw was the last piece of equipmen I had any thoughs of getting. I just have to finish ducting the HFDC and I'm planning on "Dust Right" system from Rockler this Friday that Paul Douglas recommended. I think that would be a really good way to handle the dust chores. Later on, I'll get the 1 micron filter bag for the HFDC & that should be it???
My scope of work & woodworking skill sets simply don't warrant more equipment, plus I've pretty much maxed out the available space in my shop. So now I have these equipment that are sitting there waiting for: another project (hopefuly not another bird house); a repair job; or a request to help someone special in the family. Life is good!

Throughout this shop upgrade you Guys have been very helpful with your equipment critiques & recommendations. I've relied on your comments & suggestions & have used them throughout the evolving upgrade process. Thanks Guys - Life is good!

Last edited:
Al, this is a must have accessory for that saw. Used to hold the dilly bob up when you change blades. Very detailed and difficult to make.... or you can buy one they are only around $20 and attach to the saw.

Or you could make or buy one of these. When I get back from my trip I think I will try to make one. If I can find a spring.

http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html

Attachments

• IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Actually Vaughn, I misspoke/used the wrong description when i said "filter bag". My plan, and this was noted on a previous thread & was based on your recommendation, is to use a Wynn canister filter. Not sure at this time if it'll be the Spun Bond or the 80/20 Blend. With my limited use, probably the latter.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I highly recommend a Wynn canister filter instead. You'll equal or better filtration, and better airflow than a bag. :thumb:

http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

Al, this is a must have accessory for that saw. Used to hold the dilly bob up when you change blades. Very detailed and difficult to make.... or you can buy one they are only around $20 and attach to the saw.

Or you could make or buy one of these. When I get back from my trip I think I will try to make one. If I can find a spring.

http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html

Funny you should "recommend" this Paul as that is basically what I used to clean the table. ;)

OOPs! Looks like I misunderstood your reference to the "jim dandy". I hadn't clicked on the link & looked at the picture instead with the block of wood, which is what I used. Oh well, time to start getting younger!

Last edited:
So YOU were the one who beat me to it :mad:.......:D

Well, it has been said "That he who hesitates.............................". Actually, when I contacted the seller last week, he stated there was a "gent" who inquired about it first & that he would honor that. When I called him back a few days later, to see if he sold it, he mentioned the other guy never followed up & that cleared the way for me. We set today for the meet & it was all downhill from there.

If you are not pulling my chain and was seriously considering it, I'm sorry it turned out this way. However, I suspect the chain was pulled as you mentioned a while back on a previous thread that you have one "stuck" under a bench & seldom use it. Regardless, I'm going to wonder about this & hope you can tell me what really went down, if anything.

Finally, if you do have some work to be done on a "quality" scroll saw, you're welcome to use it. ;)

That's the model I have and I have been very happy with it. Like Paul I used the block of wood for a prop for awhile. During a long fretwork session I started to realize that $20 for something I could mount in about 5 minutes was worth it and got the Jim Dandy. Don't get me wrong, it is not a requirement and a block of wood works fine. I set a magnet into mine so it just stuck to the leg of the stand; real handy.

Last edited:
In looking for the Jim Dandy site, reminded me of two other things I'd like to have for mine, now that I am using it more, a foot switch and a light that is attached to the saw. I'd really like to have one of those lights with the magnifier on it. But unless you get an expensive one, the things don't stay where you want it. At least that have been my experience.

I have a couple of these lighted magnifying lights that I used for fly tying and I was thinking of using one for the scroll saw, thinking that I might have to remove one of the folding arms to keep it in position & hopefully to reduce the vibration, or add a spring or two.

I plan on setting the saw up on either a 1/8" thick rubber pad that I've had for a while, of on pads made from closed cell foam, 3/8" thick, that came from a sleeping bag pad that has been cut up for a number of misc. applications. I still have to decide whether to mount the saw on my mobile work bench, or make a dedicated stand with casters.

Does the Jim Dandy tool, with its spring tension,"automatically" raise the arm should a blade break? Not sure if this is a + or - if the arm still moves until it is shut off.

Last edited:
Actually Vaughn, I misspoke/used the wrong description when i said "filter bag". My plan, and this was noted on a previous thread & was based on your recommendation, is to use a Wynn canister filter. Not sure at this time if it'll be the Spun Bond or the 80/20 Blend. With my limited use, probably the latter.

Good to hear, and glad to see I'm not going senile. :thumb: I thought I remembered you planning to get the canister filter, so when you said "filter bag" the other day, it threw me for a loop. :D