Speaking of Wavy

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Guy Bratt was asking about a wavy dresser in this thread, and it reminded me of a house that's near my place in LA. The locals call it the Hobbit House or the Gnome Home...the story I heard was that it was built by a guy who worked for Disney. I can see the connections...

Hobbit-House-TC-LR.jpg

Here's the detached garage:

Hobbit%20Garage%20T%20LR.jpg

And a couple of shots showing some of the shingle details. All of these had to be cut individually.

Hobbit%20Garage%20Shingle%20Detail2.jpg

Hobbit-House-Roof-Detail-LR.jpg

I would love to see the inside of this place. :D

Very cool house! I remember watching one of the "Modern Masters" on PBS that covered a guy that did those decorative cedar roofs, pretty cools stuff, but a lot of work. He steam bent many of them, even around the corner like they show there.

Not really in the same vein, but this topic reminded me of a unique home in nearby Midway, UT:

100_0229a.jpg

Some of the older homes / buildings in Midway show a measure of Swiss influence. I don't know much about the town's history, but I do know that they have a "Swiss Days" celebration every year. :dunno:

I like those curvy shingle roofs, Kerry. Very cool. :thumb:

Solvang California has Danish roots. Here's an interesting shingle job I saw up there once when I was attending their annual "Danish Days" event:

Solvang%20Roof%20800.jpg

Solvang%20Roof%20Details%20800.jpg