It's Friday - 7/26/2013 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
TGIF!!!

We have had a good soaking rain and cooler weather this week. Has been nice, but it's making that darned grass grow, so will be mowing a bit this weekend. Looks like a an entire weekend of spending time with family and friends. Having a birthday lunch with my wife's family to celebrate my and my daughter's birthdays, which were both in the last week. Saturday evening we have services to attend for our friend Gary that lost his battle with cancer yesterday, the funeral will be on Sunday. We also plan to get together my parents also since they are in town. I may get up to the shop and do some clean-up done before I start the dresser project.

What's everyone else got going?

Taking the Boy Scout troop up American Fork Canyon, to spend the night near Silver Lake Flat Reservoir at about 7400 feet. Planning to hike up to Silver Lake (9,000 feet) on Saturday.

My only concern is for the cousin of one of the scouts. He just arrived from Japan yesterday; we moved this month's campout 2 weeks so he could come with us. I don't know what elevation he lives at in Japan, but I'm hoping that the combination of jet lag and high altitude won't be a "double whammy" that leaves him wishing he hadn't participated....

Finishing up a guitar repair for a friend tonight. Probably go out on the town to listen to music somewhere this evening.

Saturday I'n going to try to finish up the sanding on the guitar body that I'm sending to Dave for repainting, then in the evening I'm going to go see my boy Ryan McGarvey.

9c4aaec5e240d99454a8bfd91364e4b8.jpg

Sunday...who knows? Way too early to tell. ;)

Usual weekend stuff with the added intentional reflection on the next chapter of life. Expect to be completed here by the end of the year, but then who knows. However, it is good to have a plan. Spent two hours this morning watching solar stuff and off grid adventures on YouTube.

Not much going on this weekend except the usual errands & home maintenance projects.

Just returned from the local Rockler store to pick up the Rockler Dust Right kit & hose & was surprised to find out that there was a Rockler 25% sale going on this Fri, Sat & Sun. Couldn't have picked a better time to visit the store. Not sure if this is a local sale, or for all their stores.

So now I should have everything to complete the HFDC installation, except the Wynn cartridge filter which is later on.

Finally scratched that smoker itch that Brent started and got myself a propane smoker. Seasoned it off yesterday and did three racks of ribs and some ABT's for the grand kids visiting from Oklahoma. Got a big old Boston Butt to do tomorrow and need to find a recipe. Cut up some bar stock to practice welding on with my new Miller Multimatic 200. This should be interesting.

I think we need to add another section to the forum for food/bbq/smoking....

What smoker did you get?

I'm doing a pork butt on sunday. I use a pretty simple rub. I'll smoke it till it's very tender, and some will get pulled for samwiches, and some will be saved to be used in a sort of chile verde preperation later in the week.

What smoker did you get?

I'm doing a pork butt on sunday. I use a pretty simple rub. I'll smoke it till it's very tender, and some will get pulled for samwiches, and some will be saved to be used in a sort of chile verde preperation later in the week.

Brent,
A food forum would be great! I got the smoker from the local BassPro. It looked to be the same as the 30" with a little more room. Now to find some thermometers that are accurate...the one in the door that came with the unit was 30 degrees off from the digital probe I hung in the vent.
http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Extra-Wide-Propane-Smoker/product/10219561/

I'm hoping to get a little more turning practice in this weekend, especially as I am hoping to send my nephew's lovely wife back to New Zealand with a set of my candlesticks, as she is quite taken with them. I am also going to be stuck with a project for my ball-and-chain putting in a short picket fence in the back yard. I don't want a picket fence in the back yard, but needs must....

Sunday we are going to a show in Toronto, and brunch with my lovely daughter who took me to Europe. Monday we get back to real life.

Oh, we're barbecuing quite a lot since our kitchen has been torn out for renovations, but in West Chester PA in June, visiting my brother, he took me to a barbecue party where every thing was done in a smoker. They had amazing sausages, brisket that would melt in your mouth, and a couple other things. It was amazing! There isn't a whole lot of smoking done in Canada, as we mostly just grill, so this was quite new to me.

Last edited:
finish up the wine bottle holder, and cutting board for the fair. use the mobile platform from an earlier build for my nephew as a base for the bench for the drum sander.

I second that. Will be seasoning the smoker this week, in anticipation of the first batch of smoked shrimp boats that are taking up room in my new little freezer. First up then is smoked brisket. Some details of your rub and smoking times and flavor would be wonderful, Brent.

Late to the party again! Maybe I can be excused because LOML and I have been on a driving trip to visit family and friends. The circuit has been from our home in Georgia to the Birmingham, AL area. Next, the longest single hop of about 730 miles from B'ham to OKC. About 300 or so miles back and forth to different locations in OK. From there, a short hop to Ft. Worth for lunch with my sister, then finish the day completing the drive to our friends at Canyon Lake, TX. A hop on Friday to south San Antonio to visit my son and his family. This morning (Saturday) we left our friends place and drove to Baton Rouge to crash for the night. Seven hours on the road Sunday and we'll be back home - finally - and may never leave home again!!!!! At least, not anytime soon. Over 3,000 miles in 10 days has taken its toll. Yeah, we'd do it again - sometime - in some life!

Actually, I did get in a little "shop" time while on the road. I've been creating a model of my shop in SketchUp2013 for practice and because I just wanted to! I also modeled an adjustable table leg to improve my table saw surround/support system. The week we left home, I had received my Incra LS52-TS and got it installed on my new G0690. Now, I plan to do nothing but play with my new toys for a LONG time!

Grouted the tile work in our oldest son's bathtub surround. Tomorrow afternoon....repair some wallboard work and get ready to spray texture.

Another vote for a food forum and I think a few others would be a nice addition too......not saying because I might get "shot" down or "hooked" :rofl: and put on a "sail boat" :D

Certainly would love to see a DIY section for things such as fixing cars or other items. :)

Last edited: