HF Router Bits???

Al Launier

Has anyone tried these HF router bits? Seems like a pretty low price for 15 bits.
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-piece-woodworking-router-bit-set-for-table-routers-68872.html

I'm looking for both 1/4" & 1/2" shank router bits, primarily carbide, that will serve as a general purpose array of bits. Yet, I don't need to have the absolute best quality as my work scope & volume is limited. Not sure at this point what the best general purpose configurations would be, but a collection such as this should cover most anything I might do???

Al I can only agree with Hans. I will confess to having initially purchased one of those types of kits from a vendor in Canada. Regretted every time I used them. Then got Carols book and its one of her first discussions the aspect of the bits. I think if I recall you now have her book maybe I am wrong. If you do read what she has to say about router bits it may alter your current view and answer the question. Much of it has to do with amount of carbide, quality of carbide, quality of welding, aspect of the bit being balanced, securing the bit for routing process. I now only buy bits as I need them on an individual basis and I resist to the extent possible buying bargain bits unless they bargains as in cheap price of a known good bit manufacturer.

I apologize Al. I started to reply but, felt I was being negative and so, deleted it :eek:. That doesn't really help anyone asking questions now, does it?

You could go ahead and pick up a bit or two to see what you think. I found I spent more time making up for poor cutter performance or lost time and money in damaged materials (wood ain't cheap) than I ever saved on budget bits. I do take advantage of Woodcraft's $5 bit sales that happen a few times a year for profiles that I use on plywood or composites. Rockler's bits also aren't horrible and I will pick up a few if they are in the grab-bag in the store for a few bucks apiece.

For serious work (or material I am not willing to risk blowout/tearout on), everyone has their favorites. Mine is Whiteside. Amana, Freud and others are also good but, Whiteside will sharpen their own bits for about what you pay for a bargain bit. This means a $25 or $35 dollar bit can have several lives. I wait till I have a half a dozen or so to be sharpened and then send them in using a flat rate USPS box. Do the math, it makes sense.

For my next collection of words that are worth exactly what you pay for them, I'll talk about buying sets. I think this gets you a few bits you will use and a bunch that will never see the collet. I was told what I just told you way back when and I have found it to be true. While I do have a boat-load of router bits, many are duplicates picked up at clearance sales for use on things where I don't want to beat up my better bits. The bits you need will vary with what you do. My most used profiles are chamfer, roundover, rabbett and a 3/8" spiral straight bit. I use many others but, with a quality cutter in those four profiles, I can do a lot of things.

P.s. Brian at Holbren is a class act. Good prices, cheap shipping and great service.

Last edited:
I'll just second everything Glenn has said. One point he made - that you spend more time/money making up for problems caused by a cheap bit than you save by using it - rings especially true with me. I can't tell you how many times I've used a cheap roundover or cove bit then spent WAY way more time sanding than I anticipated...or ruined the edge and had to resort to some type of Plan B.

Thanks Guys, all great responses. Looks like I'll buy the type bit I need when I need it & get the best quality bit I can afford at the time. Always good to get your advice.

well Al i also agree with glenn, but with a twist:) first off get the bit you need for the job not just a group of bits because you want some bits, for example that assortment has some that you wont use much probally.. also i can whole heartly agree with glenn in this statement: P.s. Brian at Holbren is a class act. Good prices, cheap shipping and great service. Brian has done me many favors in service on his products!!!!