For the Cowboys in the Crowd

Gary Zimmel

This year I got into Cowboy Action Shooting and am loving it....
As the big shoots are coming up I needed a gun cart to hold my ammo, shotgun and rifle.

Not a fine piece of furniture but it will do the trick for this season.

IMG_1466.jpg

Made out of baltic birch with a little stain slapped on and then a bunch of coats of pre cat urathane to give it some protection.
I used one of our members carts (purple one) as a template to make things go a lot quicker. She is one of Canada's best cowboy er cowgirl shooters and goes by the name of "Kanada Girl" I guess it's not the cart that makes you good at this game..:D:D

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time.

Now....there are times when I think this forum has been sent to torment the life out of me. :rofl:

first there is Brent with his pork shoulder and smoking, now you come out of the blue with Cowboy Action shooting.

Do you have any idea what you doing to me......I am a wanna be Cowboy. :):(:eek:

I aint never heard of this before and was reasonably happy with that state, now you gone an upset the balance of life .....opening pandoras box ,,,,,,in a real good kind of way......THANK YOU GARY.

Gee I did not know we allowed this kind of thing in Canada. Will have to look into seeing if this is only in Alberta or have the eastern provinces caught on to this too.

How much more is out there to be discovered.........feel sorry very sorry for my wife. :rofl: I knew it I knew it, when I did my firearms training and hunting licence there had to be a reason the guys had a lever action rifle on hand and boy I felt such and affinity towards it. :):thumb:;)

Just found this and thought I would add it in case there are other people like me coming out of the DARK. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbM_MZBSKng

Last edited:
I had just seen some carts like that on one of the wednesday night outdoor shows where they were covering cowboy shooting competitions. I was thinking I need to build something like that just for when I visit the range, sure would make lugging those case around easier. So when you have rifles on there (cased) are the barrels pointing up or down? I'm just wondering as they probably would want them pointing down at my range or straight up, pulling that cart they would be pointing towards me probably and be frowned upon.

Darrin, the rifles and shotguns are put on the cart with the barrels up.
However the actions are open to prove they are unloaded and safe.

Now this one may have to be on my todo list for this winter....

SAS_shooters002_t440.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a very handy cart, Gary. :thumb:

At the county-owned outdoor range here, they require all guns to be pointed up when being moved, even when they are in the case. I can see the "pointed up" part, but even when in the case? Really? The indoor range where I'm a member is a bit more realistic about their rules. (And to some, it'd be like the Wild West.) They also allow rapid fire (and full auto) and can handle calibers up to .50 BMG. (Don't ask me why anyone would want to shoot a .50 BMG indoors, but I've seen it done there...they'll even rent you the gun.)

Looks like a nifty cart Gary :thumb:

Never was that great of a shot myself, but some of that type of shooting is amazing. Used to be about half handy with a rope though so that's something I guess.

(Don't ask me why anyone would want to shoot a .50 BMG indoors, but I've seen it done there...they'll even rent you the gun.)
Oh my bleeding ears!

Now this one may have to be on my todo list for this winter....
View attachment 77425

Ooh nice! Plus a team of miniature horses :D

Looks like a very handy cart, Gary. :thumb:

At the county-owned outdoor range here, they require all guns to be pointed up when being moved, even when they are in the case. I can see the "pointed up" part, but even when in the case? Really? The indoor range where I'm a member is a bit more realistic about their rules. (And to some, it'd be like the Wild West.) They also allow rapid fire (and full auto) and can handle calibers up to .50 BMG. (Don't ask me why anyone would want to shoot a .50 BMG indoors, but I've seen it done there...they'll even rent you the gun.)

One of our local indoor ranges has full-auto and .50 BMG rentals. I even saw a $99 group-on for them recently for either 4 shots with the BMG or a full hour of your choice of full auto, which included 25 rounds, can buy more rounds, but of course you have to buy the rounds from them. ;)

The little stage sure looks like it would be a fun project Gary. I remember seeing some horses in one of your posts that would make perfect “caddies” for your gear.

Last edited: