New stuff and new to me stuff

Bob Gibson

I picked these up on Amazon a month or so ago and have yet to use them. Been too wrapped up with other lifes issues to give it a good test. My daughter asked for a box the other day so it looks like I'll have to get to trying this out in the next week or so.

100_4500.jpg

I've been wanting and looking for a RAS for quite some time. I just missed exactly what I wanted a few weeks ago from a guy on CL then this one popped up. It wasn't the real industrial model I wanted but it appeared to be in nice shape and the price was right. It was in a consignment shop in Gloucester, Mass. It was a real nice day for a ride to the coast so the wife and I took a ride down. It appeared to be almost new and after testing it out for quite awhile and hemming and hawing the guy almost gave it to me. Got to make a new top and blade guard but that's no big deal. The tough part is trying to find a place to put it in my cramped shop. It will only be used for cross cutting pieces too wide for my SCMS and dadoing.

100_4502.jpg

While I was tieing it down in my truck I got talking to an older guy who was sitting on a stack of lobster pots smoking a cigarette. He owned the small custom frame shop behind the consignment shop. He complained that business was slow and wanted me to buy his business for $50,000. Since it would be a 2 hour commute from my home to the shop, I don't have $50,000, plus I hate making frames I sadly declined his offer. I did however buy some beechwood from him that he said had been sitting in his shop for at least 10 years. He wanted $50.00 for the 30 or so board feet but we finally agreed on $20.00 :D
I don't know a thing about this wood or what it's good for but I'll find a use for it somewhere. All in all it was a fun day.

100_4503.jpg

Everytime I take my camera out my dog Bandit sits in front of me until I take his picture. He pouts and gives me his sad face until he hears the shutter release.

100_4506.jpg
He follows me everywhere except down to my shop. I'm not sure if it's the noise or the basement stairs that scare him but he just lies at the top of the steps until I come up.

You done good!

You'll love the ibox. I love mine. Especially with those blades.

I like my Radial arm saw too, so I'm on board with that!

Sounds like you must have had fun talking to that frame shop guy. Sounds like he was a real character...

Bandit is sure a handsome boy!

I passed on 2 offers so far for a free RAS. They were just sitting in someones basement or garage, but the footprint is just way too big for me to find space for it.

I might splurge for that box jig one day. Seems everyone is loving it.

Love my RAS it was my grandfathers. just a 9" dewalt but is great for what I use it for. I have a 45 deg miter jig for it so I can leave the saw set at 90 and just set this jig up. I use it a lot for small moldings in lieu of a scms.
Great stuff there Bob.
The beech you could make many things with. 30 bf isn't much but you could make some cutting boards with it. if its 10 years old its good and hard that's for sure!

Nice new toys Bob enjoy but the best of all is that dog of yours. He is a beaut and i would take pics of a dog all the time if he sits so nice for you like that. Great picture.:thumb:

Nice new toys Bob enjoy but the best of all is that dog of yours. He is a beaut and i would take pics of a dog all the time if he sits so nice for you like that. Great picture.:thumb:

Bandit is a great dog. He would play fetch all day long If I had the energy. I really love him to death but it took a little while for me to really bond with him. My german shepard that passed away after 14 years of almost being a second skin was truly my best friend and the most intelligent and intuitive dog that I could ever imagine. Losing him took a big chunk out of me. Bandit never gave up though, he has wormed his way into my heart and is almost right up there with Razz :)