book case for landlord

Dan Noren

Staff member
the landlord has finally given me the dimensions for the book case he wants me to build for him. i've done up two versions of plans for him, one using plywood for the case and shelves, and one using solid lumber. just waiting for him to get back to me as to which he prefers.

Attachments

• doug book case plywood.jpg
    doug book case plywood.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 34
  • doug book case solid.jpg
    doug book case solid.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 35
well, he changed his mind and went with the plywood and face frame. we picked up the stuff today. the real fun starts next weekend.

Attachments

• parts for bookcase.jpg
    parts for bookcase.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 30
got a good chunk of it out of the way today. basically all of the shelves and the top cut. tomorrow it will the the side's turn, then a light sanding, and apply the stain. aiming for final assembly on friday.

Attachments

• 010 first shelf about to be cut.jpg
    010 first shelf about to be cut.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 020 shelves and top cut.jpg
    020 shelves and top cut.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 030 sides to be cut.jpg
    030 sides to be cut.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 21
today the sides were cut to length, the notches for the toe kick cut, and started laying out the dadoes for the shelves. more to come tomorrow.

Attachments

• 040 sides cut to length.jpg
    040 sides cut to length.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 060 notches cut dadoes laid out.jpg
    060 notches cut dadoes laid out.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 17
these were supposed to be posted yesterday, but i was too darned tired to mess with it. finished taping the dadoes, and routed them. then my sister showed up to sand and paint pop's picnic table, and as she was babysitting our sister's grandson i guess that that would make me his grand-uncle (when did i get to be that old? lol),and he came with. he stopped in the garage to see what his old uncle was up to, and wanted to help. should have seen his eyes light up when i told him he could use the dust collector, but he had to sweep up first. he ran to find a broom, and swept up the whole garage, did a pretty good job too, for a six year old. i made him my official shop monkey, and gave him the shop name of biggy-d (his name is dominic), then i told him that that was the only thing he could run, but when he got older, i would show him how to use the other tools. then i showed him how to use the various types of clamps, and then put him to work holding a couple of the shelves during the test setup. right in the middle of explaining dado joints to him, my sister declared it was lunch time. he did one more sweep up after lunch, telling me that we couldn't do any more stuff until the floor was clean. then it was time for him to go back home. after the test set up was disassembled, it was time for staining, and then final assembly of the case. it was getting pretty dark, and still hot, when i called it a day after laying out the face frame parts.

Attachments

• 061 dadoes laid out and taped.jpg
    061 dadoes laid out and taped.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 19
  • 062 all dadoes routed.jpg
    062 all dadoes routed.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 063 new shop helper vacuuming.jpg
    063 new shop helper vacuuming.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 064 new shop helper holding shelf panels.jpg
    064 new shop helper holding shelf panels.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 065 test setup a.jpg
    065 test setup a.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 066 test setup b.jpg
    066 test setup b.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 067 shelves stained.jpg
    067 shelves stained.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 068 sides stained.jpg
    068 sides stained.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 069 case assembled.jpg
    069 case assembled.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 17
now that i have yesterday's fun out of the way, its time for today's fun! the bookcase was completed today! another project in the books. today i fitted out the face frame, staining as i went along. then i had to take the drum sander and its bench off of the mobile platform, and added some plywood to make the surface larger, and then pop and i rotated the bookcase onto the platform. called the landlord to let him know that it was stained, fully assembled, and ready to be picked up at his leisure. he will be picking it up next week. now it's back to my other projects.

Attachments

• 070 start of adding the face frame.jpg
    070 start of adding the face frame.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 20
  • 071 face frame and toe kick a.jpg
    071 face frame and toe kick a.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 20
  • 072 face frame and toe kick b.jpg
    072 face frame and toe kick b.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 073 finished bookcase a.jpg
    073 finished bookcase a.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 074 finished bookcase b.jpg
    074 finished bookcase b.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 29
yup, but that's what he wanted. my entertainment center is about that deep, but then again, it was built around the tv i had at the time. with the flatscreen that we have now, i could have gotten away with half of the depth.

as the final part of this project, the landlord picked up the bookcase today. he was impressed with the workmanship, and such. its funny to see the looks on people's faces when they see how big an item is when it is done. he's happy, and taking it to his place up north to spray it with poly, pop is happy, another big project out of the garage (and that i made money on it), i'm happy because i got paid, and the wife :blah: is happy, because she got her cut ($50). now, on to the next projects!