New rub try out

Jim Burr

Smoke box from A-maz-n with oak pellets just showed up!!! Smoker shows up by End-of-business Tuesday. So being a prep freak, I set out to have a lash at a rub. Loving to cook, we have no less than 40'ish cookbooks in a cabinet. Southern Livings BBQ and Smoking guide and Steve Raichlens "Barbecue Bible" gave me a few ideas. Fair notice...I never follow a recipe to the letter...we all have thought's and experience so why not use it!!
So...
1/4 c Kosher or sea salt
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c Paprika...I like smoked/Hungarian
3 Tbs ground pepper
1 Tbs Garlic powder
1 Tbs Onion powder
1 tsp Cayenne pepper...for some real heat, add New Mexico chili powder...but not that much!
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp cumin powder...roast the seeds and grind if you'd like.
1/2 tsp Dry mustard.

This is a combo of the above and having BBQ'd for a long time. Pork shoulder is thawing, injection liquid ready, rub ready...Saturday we rock!! Of course if it takes 'till Sunday...we get pizza!
I'll take some phone pic's through the process and we'll see what's what. Going to use the rub on pork loin roasts tonight...grilled, but should give an idea of the flavor.
Injection for the shoulder is 1 Tsp salt, 1/3c apple juice, 1/3c white grape juice. Came out of a book somewhere, but I'm adding some Worstershire(sic) sauce cuz I'm stupid.
We shall see what we see!

Last edited:
Seal salt? I understand the Eskimos use a lot of that stuff. :rofl:

Looks like a good rub mix, though. ;)

Only if it's sprinkled on a seal...and it's a bad week to be a seal!! ;):rofl: Tweak for personal preference and guest taste...it might work! I think there is a lot of things to do here that could adjust it to whatever one would like!

Last edited: