Magnet Question

I hope this isn't a duplicate thread, but it may be---Too many interruptions for my poor old worn out brain.

I have a 1/2 inch earth magnet in a cup screwed to a panel. The problem now is that I want it off.

I tried:
Sticking a foot long piece of 3/8 inch cold roll to the magnet, hoping that it would stick to the rod. No Joy.
Sticking a 1/2 inch rare earth magnet to the magnet in the cup, again hoping that the magnet in the cup would stick to it.
Stick a one inch stack of 1/2 inch rare earth magnets to the magnet in the cup. Still no joy.
Stick a 1.25 inch stack of 1 inch rare earth magnets to it. Still no joy.

Using a pair of pliers I was able to rotate the magnet and the cup about 1/16th to 1/8th rotation counter-clockwise. Then the cup started turning without the screw turning. The cup is still tight enough to the panel that I cannot get anything to go between, not even a razor blade. I was hoping to put enough pressure on the back of the cup that the screw would rotate with the cup. Still no joy.

Unless I get a better idea, I will saw a hole in the panel and chomp the wood away from the screw out in the shop.

pic attached

Enjoy,
JimBEarth Magnet in Cup.jpg

Not sure if you want to go this route, but....fire is a tool :D
'Borrowed' from the web...
"Rare Earth magnets have a high resistance to demagnetization, unlike most other types of magnets. They will not lose their magnetization around other magnets or if dropped. They will however, begin to lose strength if they are heated above their maximum operating temperature, which is 176°F (80°C) for standard N grades. They will completely lose their magnetization if heated above their Curie temperature, which is 590°F (310°C) for standard N grades. Some of our magnets are of high temperature material, which can withstand higher temperatures without losing strength."

Jim i dont know if this will work but it might be worth a try. If by chance you have a pair of the old fashioned wire snips that look like this how about taking them and seeing if you can get them to go over the magnet and cup and apply pressure to the base and try and lift it up while turning it. My theory is that the snips could keep the head of the screw inside tightly in contact with the cup so while you turn the cup the screw turns too.
Have no idea but its the best i can think of other than what Ken said which i did not know.
Best of luck.

Or you could whack the centre of the magnet with a punch, and lift out the pieces. Rare earth magnets aren't that expensive.

This is my vote as well. You might have a bit of a hassle digging the chunks out of the screw head but will be easier than any other way.

Heat might work if you heated a rod red hot but I reckon you'd probably end up burning the wood before the magnet let go and it would still be in the cut so kind of a pain to grab.