Music Instrument Kits

Dan Mooney

We've had a lot of musical instruments made here on the forum. if doing that from scratch is a little out of your comfort zone... Rockler is having a sale on their kits. I've not made one of their kits and can't speak for the quality but a place to start if this is on your bucket list.

Link

Last edited:
Cool...I didn't know Rockler was selling instrument kits. I've always had a hankering for a double neck electric, even though they are about as practical as concrete running shoes.

Some day I'd like to put together an acoustic guitar, but I'll probably go with a kit from Stewart-MacDonald, since they specialize in lutherie supplies. Grizzly also has some pretty nice-looking kits, especially some of their figured maple solid body guitars.

And speaking of member-built instruments, it sure was a pleasure to play Jason Beam's scratch-built acoustic guitar at Burning Wood. :thumb: It looked, played, and sounded great.

And speaking of member-built instruments, it sure was a pleasure to play Jason Beam's scratch-built acoustic guitar at Burning Wood. :thumb: It looked, played, and sounded great.

You are too kind, sir! Thank you. Feels good when a pro says my first guitar was up to snuff! Still need to polish that nut and cap the truss rod adjuster.

It wasn't as hard to build as I was expecting it to be. You *do* need to know how to work with hand tools, I think, to be effective because there are a lot of little areas that need just a slice of a chisel to get fitting nicely. But I recommend every woodworker try to build one - it's an awesome experience :)